1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLK Holiday celebration

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Drip, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Caught a double feature.

2. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I drank my coffee black today.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Got a question about MLK Day.

Is MLK what we call up here a statutory holiday where it's a federal holiday and everyone gets it off? And if you work, you get time and a half plus you get paid for the holiday?

In Canada, the stats are: New Year's Day, Good Friday, Victoria Day, Canada Day, Labour Day, Canadian Thanksgiving, Christmas and Boxing Day.

There are a couple of provincial holidays in Ontario but the ones above are federally mandated.

Just curous how that works down there

4. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Merci.

6. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

Well, there's no rule that you get paid extra if you work on MLK day. There's also no rule that anyone get off work besides federal employees. I suppose state employees also have the day off.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm on a 24/7 schedule at work, which means I'm not guaranteed any holidays off and I get 10 extra days of PTO. So I work holidays for no extra pay. :D

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

As I do each and every MLK Day, I reflect upon the example of Doug Tracht and I try hard not to say anything about the day that might possibly offend.

That said, it's not much of a struggle.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I have no problem with MLK Day. If anyone other than a President deserved it, it was him. But I don't like how Lincoln and Washington's birthdays have been minimized and combined into one.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

In Alabama, it was also Gen. Lee day, as we feel the need to celebrate the most badass Dodge Charger in network television history.

I was in fifth grade for the first MLK celebration and we went to school. Frankly I think all the schools should stay open for the holiday and use the entire day to learn about the man and the movement.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And the best thing for me is lots of NBA matinees so I can put the paper to bed early.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Many southern states, Virginia, Alabama and Mississippi come to mind, celebrate King and Lee together.
    On another note, I remember getting Feb. 12 off for Lincoln and Feb. 22 off for Washington. Now they've combined the two for one day, President's Day.

Draft saved Draft deleted