1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLK Day

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Yeah, because there have never been bad floods in those places before.
    Never.
    Ever.

2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Yeah, my 8-year-old said, "Happy MLK Day" to me on Monday morning, as I was making waffles, seeing as he and his younger sister didn't have school.

"Ok...you, too," I replied.

Then we had a 15-minute conversation about MLK. Touched on so much. Birmingham. Non-violence. What America was like after the Civil War for "blacks" and "African-Americans". How racism was different in the South and North, albeit still racism. Talked about James Meredith, no SEC integration (he's a huge college football fan) and then the sanitation workers in Memphis.

I was impressed that he dropped a "Little Rock Nine" reference on me.

All in all, a good discussion. After his waffles, he headed back to the basement for the Wii...

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've got to think most kids learning about the Civil Rights era are kind of stunned. "Why did they have to sit in the back of the bus? Why couldn't they eat at some restaurants? etc."
    I really hope the climate change deniers are right. I'd hate to have to explain why nothing was done for so many years to a little kid.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Really? A climate change argument on the MLK thread?

Really, people?

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Yes, but the climate change posters are allowing us to judge them by their character (climate change on an MLK thread) and not the color of their skin. That's a good thing. :)

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Free at last.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

One day ozone will burn us all without prejudice.

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

LZ Granderson agrees with you, in a roundabout way.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/commentary/news/story?page=granderson/110114

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I didn't start it.

And if anybody doesn't want to have lunch with Al Gore, I can understand that. But no one should smear the science because they don't like the guy.

Look at then/now photos of the polar ice caps.

I'm done, here.

Draft saved Draft deleted