1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLK Day

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jan 17, 2011.

1. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Paul Robeson made the list.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Well said SGD. Based on your post on Giffords thread it sounds like you are living Dr King's dream. Good for you.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

True, but while Robeson was a heck of a football, he was also an activist.

Robinson may not have been an activist per se, but he was a trailblazer.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Government offices closed here.
    Federals for MLK Day, and for the state, it is Robert E. Lee Day.
    Yep, my southern state celebrates Lee's birthday as an official holiday.
    Even though he wasn't an American.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Not to mention his play calling in Gettysburg cost the South the Championship

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Most companies don't acknowledge most holidays. Even store on the planet is open on Labor Day, ain't it? Memorial Day? Fourth of July? That's most companies.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The best, most haunting King Day memory I have was the night before Obama's inauguration. Went to Kelly Ingram Park in Birmingham, scene of the dogs and hoses, and just walked around as night set in and a fierce winter wind blew. Then walked across the street to 16th St. Baptist Church and just stood for a moment in wonder at how short a span of time it really has been.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

What's it to ya? Did George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, John F. Kennedy or Ronald Reagan write every word of all of their speeches?

Ahhh yeah, I am sure James Earl Ray was motivated to murder by his deep concern over the Memphis sanitation department keeping its payroll expenses under control. Probably nothing to do with racism.

9. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Thanks, Boom! I certainly try to.

We have come a long way in the past 50 years or so. But it gives me pause to think that within both of our lifetimes, in some places in this country, my girlfriend and I would not have been able to get married legally. And we also would have faced much hostility and discrimination just for daring to even have a relationship.

Thankfully, that's changing, and interracial marriage is not the controversial thing it once was. That's a very good thing.

Much remains to be done, but I would like to think that Dr. King can look down on his day and smile at how far we've come.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Al Gore agrees.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I wonder if the NBA was being cheeky when he scheduled the Kings to play in Atlanta today. I wonder why they don't have Memphis and Atlanta play a primetime game on MLK Day. The Celtics and Lakers are on enough.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I didn't mean it as some kind of "gotcha" question.

I'm guessing he probably did write most of his own stuff, but if he didn't, I'd also be curious to know about his speech writer(s).

Draft saved Draft deleted