1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLK Day

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jan 17, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Today is the 25th year that MLK Day has been a Federal holiday.

I think it's a shame that the day seems more like an ethnic celebration -- akin to something like St. Patrick's Day -- than a true national holiday.

I'd be interested in hearing peoples thoughts and recollections on the man and the day.

He's certainly someone who had a profound, positive effect on our nation.

Here's one list of the top 25 most influential black American leaders of all time:

http://www.thegrio.com/black-history/slideshow-the-top-25-most-influential-black-american-leaders-of-all-time.php

("black" was their choice of words)

The man's speeches are stirring and still touch a nerve 40 years later. As someone who was born in 1969, it's hard to imagine the America that he grew up in and the courage it must have taken to take the actions that he did.

Did he write all of his own speeches?

Just looking through some of the quotes from them, there are so many lines that are words to live by.

I like this one:

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Martin_Luther_King,_Jr

But there are many more to choose from.

Post your favorite.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Most companies don't even acknowledge it. They don't acknowledge President's Day either.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I was just thinking today about how more and more this seems like a pseudo-holiday. More and more companies are in business like it's no big deal. Same as President's Day too, I suppose. Some companies make it a floating holiday. I don't know if it's our nation's work-a-holic tendencies or what, but I'm starting to wonder how long it'll be before the only days most white-collar jobs are closed are Christmas, Thanksgiving, and the 4th of July.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Of course, perhaps the reasons why Labor Day and Memorial Day get treated differently is the fact that they occur in the summer months, and thus it's easier to have a cookout with friends and family and all that. Not a lot of people can do that today, and so why not just go to work instead? I don't know. But it definitely seems marginalized compared to what it used to be.

5. ChrisRcc

ChrisRcc Member

I doubt it. Most people tradition with those holidays, whether it's Thanskgiving Dinner, barbecue, or Christmas morning. However, what do you do on Martin Luther King Day? I'm on the laptop, making the rounds on several websites, and doing some work. I'd rather take a day in the summer than have a day in January off.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

For the local school district, it's an inservice day instead of MLK Day.

The holiday is the same as Columbus Day, Presidents Day and Veterans Day. You don't get mail and the banks are closed, but most businesses are open.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I never know how to treat this day or President's Day.

Last year, I did a job for a relatively large, new customer at the time (a chain restaurant) on President's Day. I charged the job at overtime rates for the "Holiday" and the GM freaked out.

I adjusted his invoice, but I figure that I need a day off every now and then to, so it's just easiest for me to call all the federal holidays, "holidays"

I have to go install a loaner espresso machine in a few minutes. I've let the customer know that it's holiday rates today. But it's odd. If you're white, it's like people look at you like, "how is this your holiday?".

And you're right, there are no great traditions associated with the day. No one's hosting a BBQ, there's no special meal.

Are the Knicks even hosting a day game at MSG? I don't know.

If anything, I think people try to educate themselves about King or do some sort of service in his memory, but for many, it's a non event.

8. Crash

Crash Active Member

Maybe it's because I live in D.C., but there's nothing open here other than convenience stores and restaurants.

9. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

We got 1.5" of snow and the city I live in just called off its symbolic "three-block" march because of the snow.

Good to see people really care about the sacrifice...

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Do you guys have mandatory federal statutory holidays which require all employers to give people the day off?

Ours are Xmas, Boxing Day, New Year's, Good Friday, July 1, Labour Day, and Thanksgiving.

Employers are required to give you the day off with pay. If you do work, they have to pay you for the holiday plus time and a half for actually working it. Federal, provincial and local government offices are closed that day, as are banks and the Stock Exchange.

So, does each state decide if it wants to recognize the holiday?

We have provincial holidays as well. :)

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The only people not working where I am are the postal workers and the government workers.

12. beanpole

beanpole Member

My company eliminated MLK Day as a paid holiday this year, and instead gave everyone an extra personal day. I have no idea if anyone used their personal day today, but our building is pretty full.

Draft saved Draft deleted