1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB's Top 100 players, according to Posnanski

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackReacher, Jul 22, 2009.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

It seems Poz is basing some of this list on what their doing this year and some (See Beltran) on their careers.
    Really, this whole thing turns out to be crap.

And I still put Manny Ramirez in the top 5. (Sorry, best hitter of the past 25 years)
    And for as much as I've knocked Jason Bay, he should be higher than what, 38?

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

And Lincecum was still in college in 2005, so who knows how he would have done at the major-league level at that point. By the way, they are both 25 years old.

I agree that the list is focused too much on this season, but so is the argument that Greinke's high rating is based only on 2009. He did take a major step back in his career due to his mental health issues, but the steady progress since his return supports the further development this season.

It's not unreasonable at all to put him right there with the elite pitchers. Fourth overall is a bit much, but the gap between Lincecum and Greinke isn't nearly as wide as you are trying to make it out to be.

Where is Felix Hernandez on the list? (damn site keeps locking up my browser). If you are going to put Greinke that high, Hernandez needs to be up there as well. He has really emerged as the dominant pitcher he was projected to be.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

I'm not saying there is a huge gap between Greinke and Lincecum. I'm saying Lincecum belongs ahead of him and Halladay and Santana belong ahead of both.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Is this list to read like the 100 players you would want on your team for the next 82 or 162 games? If so, are you assuming they are healthy?

I have not seen this list (I am on my pda) but from what I have seen, Texeria is doing some amazing things in NYC.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Even as a Yankee hater, the more I see of Texieira, the more I'm convinced he one of the five best players in the game.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

No, he's not. There's a lot more to pitching than throwing 95 mph. Buehrle has been one of the most consistent pitchers this decade. Given his stuff vs. his results, guy is one of the best baseball players out there. Incredibly smart pitcher.

Dye is somewhere in the 60s, I believe. I'm not going back to look.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Agreed - His defense alone puts him up there. Did not near appreciate him till watching every day.

Hey Spnited how does he compare to Keith Hernandez defensively?

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Not quite as good a Keith. But better than Mattingly, who also was damn good defensively.
    Keith did some things, like play bunts, better than any first baseman I ever saw.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Seems like Tex has better range but it my judgment may be altered by watching him so much.

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

How does he compare to Hal Chase?

11. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Yes he is. I don't care what he throws - he's never been great, is often good (though the most consistent pitcher in the game wouldn't have sucked - what was it last year or two years ago when everyone thought he was done). The list has more holes than I'd expect from him. Washburn neck in neck with Billingsley? By his standard?

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Keith covered the line very well for a lefty, didn't go to his right as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted