1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB's Top 100 players, according to Posnanski

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackReacher, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Agree on A Rod - also think TEX is top 10 - On the Yankees right now I would rate tex higher than a rod.

I got a chuckle out of the tab that reads "React" - SI must think we are all trained seals or something

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Maybe. maybe not.

3. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Teammates?

4. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

2004: 8-11, 3.97 ERA, 100 Ks, 26 walks, 1.16 WHIP for a 100-loss team. Didn't pitch with the Royals until late-May callup.
    2005: very, very bad year.
    2007: As a starter and reliever - 7-7, 3.69 ERA, 106 Ks, 36 walks, 1.29 WHIP for a team that celebrated not losing 100 games.
    2008: 13-10, 3.47 ERA, 183 Ks, 56 walks, 1.27 WHIP, one of baseball's best pitchers after AS Break.

For a franchise as awful as Kansas City is, those are pretty good numbers. Of course, with a little more run support, his record would look a lot better.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Nice how you just throw out 2005 because he was horrible...5-17, ERA close to 6, I believe

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

5-17 according to B-R

8. Songbird

You're right. Saw an 8 somewhere near the list. My bad.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Nice to see some love for Buehrle and Dye, two of the really good guys.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Either way, creole obviously buried the bad numbers to bolster his arguement.

And I'm not putting Greinke down. This is his breakout year (after 2008 breakout 1/2 year?). I need to see more before I put him with established aces like Halladay and Santana...hell, maybe even Sabathia.

11. Songbird

If we're talking "big-game pitcher," what about Cole Hamels? Might not have the supreme numbers like the ones we mentioned, but he was 4-0 in the playoffs last year with a 2.35 ERA, 30 K's and 9 BB.

Is Greinke better than Hamels? Is Hamels better than Lincecum? Is Halladay better than all of 'em with his 142-69 career record but zero playoff appearances? What about Santana, even if he is 1-3 in the playoffs?

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I didn't notice where Dye is, but Buehrle is too high.

Draft saved Draft deleted