1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB's Top 100 players, according to Posnanski

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackReacher, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Don't worry, Greinke's working on a Cy Young this season. And with Haren around, Lincecum no lock to repeat.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

That may be true. He might win the Cy Young this year. But he hasn't won jack shit yet. Until then.... Lincecum > Greinke. There really shouldn't be a debate.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Does that mean there's also no debate that Barry Zito and Bartolo Colon are better than Greinke?

I mean, they also won a Cy Young ...

5. JackReacher

Come on now, you're reaching.

This debate is about two players.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Since a win on May 26, Greinke is 2-4 with 3 no decisions.

In the 3 no decisions, he pitched 21.1 innings, gave up 7 ER, 23 hits, 6 BB and had 20 K's
    In the 4 losses, he pitched 23 innings, gave up 14 ER, 33 hits, 6 BB and had 27 K's

That might be the stretch that keeps him from the Cy Young this year, no matter how hot he started.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Just wanted to point out the Cy Young argument kinda read like the Super Bowl-winning quarterback argument.

If given the choice, I'm biased, I'm with Posnanski on this one -- give me Greinke over Lincecum. It's just too bad the Royals took Hochevar with the No. 1 pick that year, because Greinke and Lincecum in the same rotation would've been OK.

8. JackReacher

Still turned into a horrible arugment when the other former Cy Young winners were introduced into the conversation.

Knowing your bias, though, I didn't take it very seriously.

They're both damn good.

9. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

You would have him as the #4 player in the game? I don't care how biased you are - his mother wouldn't put him there.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Never said I would put him No. 4. Just said it's not ridiculous to list him as the top pitcher in the game, and that anyone arguing that Greinke's only been doing this for four months has only been paying attention for four months.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

OK, Oz, 7 months.

And it is ridiculous to cal him the best pitcher in the game unless, like you and Poz, you're Royals fanbois.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

The standard line for anyone who lives outside Kansas City. I remember when some Mets fans reamed the Santana trade because there was no way he would withstand the pressure of pitching in New York, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted