1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB's Next Commissioner

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Aug 14, 2014.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Could be announced in the next couple of hours.

Selig expected the owners to simply endorse his recommendation of Rob Manfred. A couple of owners, notably Jerry Reinsdorf of the White Sox, have been pushing for an alternative, and have chosen Red Sox chairman Tom Werner as their candidate.

That Werner is being considered is insane to me.

The longshot candidate is Tim Brosnan, baseball's executive vice president for business.

Personally, I'd love to see Brosnan emerge as a compromise candidate. He's one of the best people I know.

Who's it going to be?

Manfred is still the clear favorite. In years past, Reinsdorf was very influential. Does he still have much influence with new, younger owners?

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You forgot to sign back in as Drip.

In all seriousness, Faye Vincente was on the radio yesterday saying basically the owners would be batshit at this point in time to listen to Reinsdorf's recommendation on anything. He's the equivalent of the Japanese soldiers still fighting WWII decades later.

3. YankeeFan

I know, right.

But, in all honesty, he's a really good guy.

We had a connection because went to the same high school. He was always incredible gracious to me, and generous with his time.

100%.

That's why I'll be curious to see if anyone follows his lead.

I can't find the article right now, but one interesting thing I read is that certain owners who were favorites of Selig's don't expect the same treatment under Manfred.

The Red Sox in particular benefit from a favorable assessment of the true value of their NESN tv rights.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The Red Sox owners only got that way because of Selig. Otherwise, they'd be the Marlins' owners today. Henry's been a pretty good owner, but letting Loria stay in baseball is an inexplicable Selig blunder.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

What, was there a sale on e's? Or has Fay Vincent suddenly become Hispanic or Italian?

6. YankeeFan

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I kind of like that Selig has the need to wear a nametag . . . and is carrying a newspaper.

8. YankeeFan

Does Selig's son-in-law still have a no show job at MLB's "Arizona office"?

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The theory I heard advanced just now on the radio by Sean McAdam, a well-wired reporter, is that Manfred will win, but only by promising the Reinsdorf faction maximum imput on labor issues. Of course, campaign promises....

10. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

As someone who witnessed the imfamous Padres 1993 "fire sale" up close, I totally agree with you, YF, on the possibility of Werner as commissioner.

11. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mlb-exe...144427418.html

Rob Manfred is the new Commissioner. Promoted from his former COO position. Other experience includes head of drug-testing.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Manfred's the Man.

Draft saved Draft deleted