1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLBPA: Teams conspired against Bonds

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Piotr Rasputin, Oct 16, 2008.

1. markvid

markvid Guest

Re: Collusion on Bonds

And the bad knees at the salary he'd want?

2. markvid

markvid Guest

Would YOU sign him for 15 million with those knees?

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I've read that somewhere before...

4. markvid

markvid Guest

Deja vu all over again?

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

OK, then.

Does "Over 40 and no longer roided up" work better for you?

6. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Yes. :D

7. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

I'm sure they'll have no problem proving this.

8. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Don't remember for sure, but I think I remember Moore saying they tried contacting him but he had no interest. Big surprise.

9. KP

KP Active Member

I hope to hear someone offered him the minimum knowing full well he'd turn it down.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Forget about the minimum. Offer him a base of $1 million or $2 million with incentives based on how much he can play and how much he produces.

I don't think his ego would even let him sign that, and it's not an unfair offer.

His defensive immobility pretty much made him worthless to NL teams.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Key phrase:

but it reached an agreement with the commissioner's office to delay the filing of any grievance.

Which tells me the MLBPA knows there is no case here but it has to "protect" one of its members. If Bonds weren't under indictment -- a pretty good reason not to sign him -- the grievance would have been filed already.

Bonds pleaded not guilty to 14 counts of making false declarations to a federal grand jury and one count of obstruction of justice, and his trial is scheduled to start March 2. Any grievance is likely to follow the trial.

Only if he is acquitted of all charges. Otherwise, the MLBPA wants as much to do with Barroid as 30 teams do.

EDIT: Did anyone noticed who ESPN credited for first reporting this?

12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

The players union should file collusion charges... but they also should be mindful of the fact Bonds may have had offers to play for lesser teams but did he turn them down (Royals?).

Do they have a case? Doubtful, but the events of 1985-87 opened up the door for these charges to be filed again and again if needed.

To that end, I was surprised to see the Yanks didn't make an effort (although they needed pitching more)...

Draft saved Draft deleted