1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB writer positions available

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by nychack, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

What blog is it, BYH?

2. yeah, where's the blog found?

3. MCEchan36

MCEchan36 Guest

Here's the link. You'll seriously want to vomit after just glancing at it for a moment or two. I'd love to let Chris from The Wire have at him for a little on some days.

http://snaggingbaseballs.mlblogs.com/

4. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

I mean you can make fun of someone all you want, and I wouldn't advise continually doing it on a popular journalist message board, but hey, dude's got a book coming out from random house vintage, so he can't be too much of a moron (the preceding statement can be completely reversed when you think about the number of idiots that have published sports books).

http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9780307280329

5. MCEchan36

MCEchan36 Guest

Cuz,

You have a point about continually bashing him, but after working with him for two years, his antics are incredibly grating on your nerves. The worst part is that he doesn't realize that what he does isn't exactly something many people respect, especially when he does it in such a fanatical way. He's not a "bad" person in the least bit, but he's certainly frustrating as hell.

6. From reading that blog for the first time today, I wanted to kill this guy. Now that I've watched the CBS piece on him, I want to do it slowly and painfully.

If I ever see him at a game, he is certainly getting an elbow....a sharp one in the eye too.

How about he donates all those ball to some inner-city kids league?

7. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

I don't even know what to say after watching that video. I like when he says he likes being "special," because after watching that video, that's exactly what I thought he was, "special." I would love, love to have seen that on Real Sports just to watch Gumbel's patronizing post-clip discussion. "Now Bernie, this guy goes to thousands of major league games to get balls? Let me guess, he's single right?"

Steve Hartman looked on the verge of tears fighting back laughs during that segment.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

To continue this threadjack...yikes. Best part of that video was him not getting a BP ball and muttering under his breath at the guy who did.

I'm sure your office is hard on the guy, but in some newsrooms I've worked in...the words "tigers" and "raw meat" wouldn't even begin to describe it.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Steve Hartman was great in that. "He's single...surprise."

Zack, if you're reading this--and I know you are, since you seem to have an endless appetite for anything about you--you are the biggest, most pathetic nerd on the planet. We all liked collecting things. Then we graduated high school.

Sell some of those balls and buy yourself a prostitute.

10. MCEchan36

MCEchan36 Guest

BYH: you are my hero. I was reading that comment here at work and I just turned into a mutant hyena, laughing and cackling like a maniac. The sad thing is that he's probably reading this, taking it to heart and not understanding why he's getting picked on. Gee, I can't understand why ANYONE would get heckled for going to a Mets game and ask Mets players for a ball with a Mets hat on, then switch and put on a Braves hat and ask Braves players for a ball. Truly sad. I told one of my friends that plays in the Majors about him and the effects were immediate: he did not receive a single ball from anyone on my friend's team from then on.

PS - We should probably make this subject it's own thread. More about this job: if I think it is what it might be, you'll be working in a nice office at the Chelsea Market, good & entertaining people to work with, but I have no clue what it'll pay. All I can say is that as a "part-timer," the pay-rate isn't that bad. Any more questions, feel free to PM me.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah but now those guys are going to go on his hate list! Like Gustavo Chacin!

I have to admit: A friend of mine clued me into this site a while ago and we'd occassionally check it out, because really, who doesn't like crawling by car wrecks? Everytime I read it, I think this guy has got to be a self-parody. I mean, how is there a late 20-something guy who has one of every big league hat and has constructed a doohickey that allows him to pick up balls from beyond the outfield fence?

What a complete freaking looooooser.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Peter King writes for MLB?

Draft saved Draft deleted