1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB.TV Question

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pete Incaviglia, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I'm about to buy the premium package on MLB.com.

One question:

Can I and a buddy log into the same account at the same time? This was the case about four years ago when I and another guy shared the same account. We just couldn't watch the same game at the same time.

Anyone know if you can share?

2. Simon

Simon Active Member

Yes...so far but we're all in the same city. I'm also pretty sure you can watch the same games because I watched Lincecum pitch last week and my friend loves Timmy so I'm sure he was watching as well.

Also, the blackout is based on the CC zip code not the city you're in. The account I share is a STL CC zip and I can watch blacked out Royals games at my house but not on campus.

3. Pete Incaviglia

Yeah, see, we're in different cities. Separated by about 75 miles.

A few years ago, we were on opposite sides of the country though. And it worked then.

4. Jim Halpert

Jim Halpert Member

From MLB.com...

So, if I read that correctly, you can share the account, provided the two of you are never trying to watch a game at the same time.

5. Pete Incaviglia

Seems that way. It used to be that you couldn't watch the SAME game.

6. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

It's worked in the past where me and some friends split it, but one was a Phillies fan, one an Astros fan and I'm a Sox fan so we pretty much never watched the same game.

7. Bullrog

Bullrog Member

Coworker of mine did this a few years ago when we worked on the desk together.
    A friend of his paid for the subscription, then sent out the username/password to his friends who all used it.
    MLB.TV sent him an e-mail stating that if they did it again they would cancel his subscription and would not give him a refund.

So yes, they are able to tell if your account is used on multiple computers.

8. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

So which is it?

9. I'm fairly confident that they determine the blackout area from the location of your IP address. This is why people go through proxies if they want to watch their local team at the office or where ever.

10. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Blackout areas suck dick. I live just south of Jacksonville and I can't watch Rays or Marlins games. So I couldn't watch the opening series vs. Red Sox.

Personally, I like NHL's Gamecenter much more, which came with my package.

11. NX

NX Member

I guess the powers-that-be at MLB.TV believe you could just hop in the car and drive on over, like it was just across town. It's about the same as my situation last year when I lived about halfway between Minneapolis and Des Moines and St. Louis and KC were blacked out.

But my blackout this year is even more laughable. I, too, am considering buying the MLB.TV package and I'm happy I'm not a Giants fan. I could understand if I were somewhere in California or Nevada or even Oregon, but I now live on O'ahu, over 2,000 miles of water away from San Francisco. I suppose I could climb into a kayak and be at McCovey Cove for a homestand in a month or two, retrieve a ball that has splashed down, then turn around and fight a south swell all the way home.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Hey man. You shouldn't have moved to a foreign country. Buyer beware.

Draft saved Draft deleted