1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB.tv: Proof that God wants us to be happy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Apr 3, 2007.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I like not having to watch the commercials. But would it kill MLB to have a little variety on the audio during the commercial breaks?

2. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Two questions...

1. Is the premium worth $5 more per month?
    2. How do I make the viewing window bigger on a Mac? I am usually fairly computer-savvy, but this has been killing me for two seasons.

3. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Settle down, y'all. Don't everyone try to help at once.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I don't have the premium. I have no clue.

I'm still wondering if MLB.tv is worth the $89, since it only shows a series of still images on my slow-ass home computer. It works fine at work, though, and that's when I'd use it most.

5. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I'm on the five-day trial period right now and I've had no troubles yet (not the premium, sorry HP). It may be my only option if Dish Network doesn't reach a deal.

6. Cameron Frye

Cameron Frye Member

The premium is worth the extra money to me, but I'm splitting it with a friend, so it's only costing us each 60 bucks for the season.

I'm not on my mac right now, but I think if you hold down the mouse button, a box will come up and you can select full screen. Control-click might do it too.

7. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

Last year, it was damn-near impossible to watch on a Mac.
    Besides the window size, have they solved the connection problems?

8. I have a PowerBook G4 and tried to check out the premium tonight, because, from what I saw of the product demo, I wasn't happy with the video quality of the regular service. I have a high-speed connection and am running OS 10.3.something.

I tried several times to get the premium service to load and could not get it to work. I looked on the FAQ or system requirements and saw that the mosaic needed OS 10.4 something or other. It was not clear though if you needed the higher operating system though just to watch the higher quality video, but I couldn't get it to work. I checked with a computer guru though and to get the 10.4 operating system you have to pay and apparently it won't work well with my machine.So I don't know if it means I'm out of luck with mlb.com, but it looks like I'm heading to Extra Innings by later today while I can still get the early bird price. It looks like mlb.com might be a nice thing to have in addition to Extra Innings for the portability aspect and other features, but I don't know if I'd want it to be the only way I could watch games because it seems a little clunky and undependable.

9. rascalface

rascalface Member

I'm on a Mac with Mosaic and haven't had any problems. Installed fine, works fine with minimal freeze-ups/re-streaming.

To get the bigger picture, if you're in Mosaic, it should load in the six-screen mode. Drag whatever game you want to watch from the boxes along the top into one of the six video windows. Then double click on it (the video of the newly selected game). That should take you to single-game mode within Mosaic. Once there, there's a "full screen" button you can click on to take it to, well, full screen. Just make sure the video quality is on a high setting first.

10. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

I just signed up, and it appears to work this year. We'll see how well it works with live games tomorrow.

I'm running Mac OS X 10.4.9, on a pre-Intel iBook.

11. Dedo

Dedo Member

For those looking to get around the blackout restrictions -- I've found a way, but it'll cost you some extra coin.

There are a number of sites where you can download software to mask your IP address. Essentially, it allows you to dial into a computer in another location (like Florida, or Canada, or even Germany) and that becomes your new IP address. Trouble is, to use the service, you have to pay a monthly fee. I was just curious if it would really work, so I shelled out $13 for a month of service at www.iprivacytools.com.

And sure enough, it works like a charm. All week I've been able to see games involving teams in my local blackout zone, and today, because MLB.tv thinks I'm in Quebec, I'm able to see all the national blackout games.

I'm still not sure I'll keep paying for this beyond the first month, as I'm not home that much anyway. But for those desperate for a viable option and willing to pay for it, it's worth checking out.

12. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i'm in law school as some people here know. the other day, a guy in front of my in my copyright law class was watching mlb.tv with the screen split into four. he was watching four games at once. it made it a little hard for me to pay attention to the professor because i felt compelled to watch the games.

we've come a long way from the time when you used to have to sneak in to class your little radio.

Draft saved Draft deleted