1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB Trade Deadline Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Beaker, Jul 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I haven't seen Kotchman play a whole lot, but he doesn't seem to have enough power for the position. But he's young, cheap and on the hook until after the 2011 season.

Marek was rated the No. 6 prospect in the Angels' system by Baseball America headed into this year, if that means anything to anybody.

All things considered, with no leverage whatsoever, I think the Braves did OK. Not great, but OK.

I wish they could have gotten Conor Jackson, though.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Maddux has a no-trade and has said he does not want to be traded away from the West Coast.

Nobody should trade for Hoffman. Seems like every time I see the Padres on Extra Innings, he's blowing a save. Probably just catching him on the wrong nights.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Tomorrow's Plaschke from a Dodger board…

420. dzzrtRatt

The Angels know what to do with prospects.

You trade them. For players. Who can help you. Now.

The Dodgers are like "Annie." But sometimes the sun should come out today. Tomorrow we might be dead.

Think.

About.

It.

Thousands of Dodger fans will die. This year. Without experiencing a pennant since 1988. If they even remember back that far.

Do you? I don't.

McCourt doesn't care if Dodger fans die.

One thing for sure. When Dodger fans die, they become Angel fans. For eternity.

4. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

The Phillies are apparently talking to the Red Sox about Manny:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/baseball/mlb/07/29/manny.dodgers/index.html

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Please, please, please.

Manny leaving would completely change the dynamic of their lineup and not in a good way.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Shows you the idiocy that comes with winning (if it happens).

7. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

New Yahoo.com story says Maddux will be talking to Kevin Towers to discuss expanding the list of teams beyond the NL West clubs.

Hoffman won't go anywhere, I know this, but loyalty shouldn't get in the way of doing something now. Heath Bell is their next closer (good or bad) so why not let him have that chance now?

8. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

I pay attention to the Phillies about as much as any non-beat writer here. And I'll set the odds of him going to Philadelphia at about 1-in-100.

9. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Yeah, I really don't see anything happening.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

The Phillies' offense has been struggling lately?

Sayfuckingwhat?

11. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Before the Atlanta series, they had a stretch where the offense scored 2, 1, 3, 8 and 2 in a five-game stretch. Not exactly the end of the world, but not what they had been doing.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Shit, the Yankees would have killed for that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.