1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB Trade Deadline Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Beaker, Jul 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sam Craig

Sam Craig Member

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I think it is a good deal.

Look at it this way. If the Red Sox stuck it out, they weren't going pick up the option then they still would have lost Manny for nothing. They would have had a hole in left field. So let's say that happened and they traded Hanson and Moss for Bay in the offseason, that would have been viewed as a great trade, but that trade doesn't get done without the players the Dodgers threw in.

And before anyone says the Red Sox could have made one more drive with him, you're assuming that he would have been "Good Manny'' putting up numbers. But what we've seen the past two weeks is "Bad Manny'' the selfish no-character Manny.

I've been a big supporter of Manny and defended him at times. I would have loved for him to stay the season and the next two and put up with the posing on home runs and the jogging on routine grounders. But I'm on board with the feeling that had the trade not happened, he would eventually quit at key moments and not had the chance to kill the Yankees or anyone in the postseason.

Thanks Manny for two World Series titles, but it would have been great if you respected the game as much as the fans cheered you.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If I am the Red Sox, this is why I do not like this trade...

It's late in a close game and you have Ortiz coming up with no one on base. What do you do?

With Manny, you were very hesitant to pitch around Ortiz because you had Manny. Manny can turn around any fastball in the majors. Any.

So you pitch to Ortiz.

With Bay protecting Ortiz, I work around Ortiz. He would get nothing to hit. Anything in the strikezone would be a huge mistake. I let him sit on first and take my chances with Bay.

Can Bay hit every right handed pitcher in baseball?

Manny vs. some of the pitchers he would have faced.

Pettitte - .416
    Lackey - .429
    Sparks - .417
    Garland - .520
    Chien-Ming - .536
    Buehrle - .348
    CC - .571
    Ponson - .421

He can hit anyone.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You are right about one thing. I should not have criticized you for starting and then brought it back up later. I almost sunk to your level, but I did it without the personal insults.

Everybody had moved on, but half a day later you just had to go on the attack again. As usual, you do everything you accuse me of. Thanks for that.

Apparently my post went right over your head. Did you even read my response to Zeke? I even said it PROVES NOTHING, but you ignore the part that doesn't fit your rant -- as usual.

The bottom line is you made a ridiculous argument. You insisted that it was proof that the system is working because the Marlins were in on Manny Ramirez. Now that Ramirez went to a big-market team, you want to insist it means nothing. You just don't like getting called on it.

I know plenty about the guys in the deal yesterday (except Morris. Him I had to look up). At some point, the Pirates have to stop giving away proven players for guys who MIGHT be something. That is definitely subjective, but it is my opinion. And if you think they got good value in the deal with the Yankees, well, you are just beyond help.

But again, you are more than willing to make things up for lack of actual information. Funny that you pick on Rotoworld so much. Your standards are just as low as theirs.

I'm done, too. I doubt you can let it go. I really hope you prove me wrong this time. There's a first time for everything.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Trade deadline has passed anyway. But the pissing match between the two who just can't resist makes that moot. We're all done here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.