1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB Trade Deadline Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Beaker, Jul 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Right, and there are so many examples to choose from.

Like Johnny Damon in 2001. He got traded from the Royals to Oakland, where he only hit .409 in an ALDS loss to the Yankees. That guy would never inspire a team to a World Series.

Like Jermaine Dye in 2001. He got traded from the Royals to Oakland, where he only hit .297-13-59 in 61 regular-season games and .400 in one series; he later won the 2005 World Series MVP with the White Sox, hitting .438. What a bum.

Like Aramis Ramirez in 2003. He got traded from the Bucs to Chicago, where he only hit 15 home runs in 63 regular-season games and helped the Cubs reach the NLCS and damn near the World Series. Bastard.

Like Carlos Beltran in 2004. He got traded from the Royals to Houston, where he only hit .435, hit eight home runs and drove in 14 runs during 12 playoff games. Awestruck, I tell you.

Those are just a few examples, but I'm sure you're right, Angola! Only players from the Yankees and Red Sox could possibly thrive in pennant races! Only they know what true playoff pressure is!

2. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I like Angola and Oz, and I hate to get in the middle of anything ... but damn, 'Gol, YOU JUST GOT OWNED!!!

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Well, Oz, like I was saying I never said Bay can't do it, I was just saying that he's never been in this situation before.

So, while you pointed out everyone that has done great, I could point out your Kenny Rogers and your Denny Neagle and your Eric Gagne and your Scott Sauerbeck and your countless other players who went from small market to big market and sucked ass when the pressure got hot.

So, that's why I said what I said.

No one knows how Bay will perform, but expecting him to be as good as Manny has been in the regular season AND in the playoffs is asking a bit much.

Hell, who knows.

Maybe Jason Bay will hit 1.000 in the postseason and against the Yankees and all of you small market folks will have a field day, but I'm guessing he will hit .282 and he will get ripped - or he should, because if ARod ONLY hit .282, oh god he is the biggest piece of shit in the history of baseball.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Oh, and Hammer thanks for your passive agressive support.

I'll remember that on the next SEC thread :).

5. KP

KP Active Member

Gola, what good does keeping a quitting Ramirez, as he did in 2006, do for the Red Sox in 2008? Gets them two draft picks.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

I like how outofplace scolded me for bringing this up and trying to drag the thread down...then brought this up and tried to drag the thread down mere hours later. And, as Zeke noted, brought so little to the table you have to hope he was joking.

This says nothing about the system and everything about how the Marlins are laughing all the way to the bank and making money hand over fist as they create reasons why they can't compete with the big boys. The Red Sox were willing to pick up all of what Ramirez was owed the rest of the year--AND THE DODGERS TOOK THEM UP ON THE OFFER!!!! THE BIG MARKET DODGERS!!!!--yet the Marlins WANTED MORE MONEY!!!

What the fuck? That's chutzpah on an incomprehensible level. it's not good enough to get a player who can send them deep into the playoffs. They need to make AN EXTRA $2 MILLION TOO!!! THAT'S WHY TEHY BACKED OUT...THEY WERE GETTING ONE OF THE BEST PLAYERS IN THE GAME FOR FREE, from a financial standpoint, AND THEY WANTED MORE MONEY!!!

David Samson and Jeffrey Loria do not care, one whit, about winning. They want to bleed every cent they can and don't care about anything else. they would come up with reasons why the system is broken no matter where they are. if the system is broken, why are they on their second team? If the system is broken, why are they sticking around to try and land a baseball-only stadium? So they can sell this franchise for a shitpot of money in 2013, or whenever the stadium opens.

For crying out loud, even Simon Cowbell--the board's lone Marlins fan and as fervently pro-blow-the-whole-thing-up-and-start-again as anyone on the planet--recognizes the Marlins came up with an excuse as to why they couldn't handle swimming in the deep end. They're wearing those floater things and hanging on to a kickboard and they've got lifeguards surrounding them and guess what, the deep endi s actually only four feet deep...but wait, I can't swim because I don't have my nose plugs in. Let me out of the pool.

The system is just fine. It's the Marlins who are an embarrassment. Not the system.

As for your other "points."

Manny is going to the Dodgers b/c they're so cheap they asked THE INDIANS to pay for Casey Blake's contract. It is laughable on an epic scale that you think this proves the big markets bully the little markets, because the Dodgers are in about as big a market as you'll find and Frank McCourt runs them like he's auditioning for a job with Sam Zell. The system? For crying out loud.

As for the prospects the Pirates got...do you even know anything about Hansen, Moss, Tabata, McCutchen, Ohlendorf and Karstens? Maybe Rotoworld didn't have a lot on them last week. Or do you just anonymously dub them as "prospects" because it's easier to shape your argument around the thesis that the Pirates had to sell off yet again?

Except for Tabata, they're all younger players who have done just about everything they can in the minors and need to sink or swim with a team that can afford to give them some rope and/or extended playing time. Brandon Moss is going to be better than David Murphy, who might win Rookie of the Year in the AL.

It's not like they got crap. They got experienced prospects, as much of a contradiction as that sounds, who can help them right away. And in Tabata they got a guy who still has big-time upside despite his problems. And yes: I said last week I don't think Tabata will ever pan out. but for a team that has been reluctant to invest in the amateur market, this is the best way to get a potential five-tool guy.

But maybe they're going to start investing. They got nine younger players (with LaRoche and Bryan Morris from the Dodgers) for a trio of guys at or beyond their career peak. If they're going to start over again, that's a pretty good way to do it. If they're going to ditch Bay and Nady and Marte in order to sign Pedro Alvarez...good. That's what small market teams should do. Because if it blows up in their face, it still cost them less than one year of a free agent.

I would think a Pirates fan would be happy with that. Instead, you come up with reasons why it's proof the market is screwing you. With an attitude like that, you should root for the Marlins.

I am done with responding to you on this topic, because I still can't believe I spent this much time answering one of the most flawed, passive-aggressive and antagonistic posts I've ever seen. So knock yourself out.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I get that, but like anything else, it goes both ways. There will be good, there will be bad, there will be average. It's never all one way or another just because a player comes from a small-market team that's out of contention. Heck, even in your examples, there are reasons for failure ...

Sauerbeck? Already had a 4.05 ERA with the Bucs in 2003, he wasn't the answer for the Red Sox.
    Rogers? Actually, his stats got better with the Mets after the trade in 1999 -- he was as advertised.
    Gagne? He was showing his age/red flags in the month or two before last year's deadline.
    Neagle? OK, I can't explain those six miserable starts for the Braves in 1996.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

The more I look aty this Manny deal the more I think the Red Sox just made one of the worest trades in baseball history.

They gave Manny to the Dodgers...gave him away. They are now paying one of the 3 best hitters in baseball $7 million to play for someone else for the next two months.
    They also gave up Hansen (eh) and Moss.
    So, for Manny fucking Ramirez, two others players and $7 million they got Jason Bay.

You gotta be fucking kidding me!

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

They've also won two titles in four years and resisted many other opportunities to trade Manny. They've earned the benefit of the doubt that this trade finally had to be made, no matter how awful it looks.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Wrong!
    Two more months of Manny and they win the division and have a shot at the World Series. Then, don't pick up the option. Offer arbitraion. Get two draft picks when Manny signs somewhere else. You've dealt with the lunacy this long, what's 2 more months?
    If you're going to pay the $7 mill over the next 2 months, you put up with the antics.

I can't wait til the last weekend of the season when the Red Sox are playing the Yankees and Jason fucking Bay is striking out with men on base instead of Manny killing the Yanks as he always has.
    And all those assholes in Red Sox Nation will be whining about how Manny would have come through where Jason fucking Bay failed.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

The one complaint I would have if I were a Red Sox fan is that because of the focus on Manny, they didn't address the bullpen, which I could see costing them in October or even before then. Supposedly, there was an offer of Brandon Moss for Ron Mahay on the table. But they couldn't afford to trade Moss because if Manny were to sit after not getting traded, have sore knees, etc., he was the backup plan.

Who knows, maybe Bartolo Colon comes back as a seventh-inning man? If that's a good or bad thing, I'm not sure.

12. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Another interesting take on the Manny saga from Bill Madden in the Daily News today: Scott Boras orchestrated all of Manny's antics to either get out of Boston or get them so tired of him they don't exercise the options.

In short, Boras became Manny's agent like last year, so the options getting picked up don't give him a cut but the former agent. So Boras promises Manny he'll get this big 100 million dollar contract as long as he can undermind things.

And Madden points out this fact that I hadn't seen yet. Guess who Jason Bay's agent is? Boras. So the Red Sox are guaranteed Bay through 2009 and then he'll hit free agency at 31, no doubt looking for a huge deal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.