1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB Trade Deadline Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Beaker, Jul 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You could be right. They may want Pierre's speed in center to help cover for Ramirez. Ramirez, Kemp and Ethier would be a very weak defensive outfield, though I'm sure we'll see some of that alignment.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

well.... you heard wrong, or were told wrong.

3. Simon_Cowbell

And.... it's easier to hit in the AL.

Used to be a pretty big difference. I think the AL pitchers, by and large, are shell-shocked.

4. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

It's not a weird league. I only play fantasy baseball in NL-only leagues (much more fun, not just 12 All-Star teams ... and I effing hate the DH). I just forgot that the owner who loses the player to the AL gets first priority. And LaRoche is staying in the NL. The LaRoche owner was just looking for a loophole, and I had a commissionerly duty to verify.

5. Simon_Cowbell

I'm in an NL league too.

Carry 23 players with a $260 auction-day cap. Must protect between 8 and 13 players headed into the auction. Can give raises to extend contracts.

But to allow someone to cherry-pick Manny Ramirez because they had Andy fucking LaRoche.... well, that's criminal.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

He didn't allow that. Ramirez is going to the guy who lost Bay.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Not if it was considered TWO separate trades.

8. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Rules are rules, sir.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Thus, what I posted before being disputed stands

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

My only response to this part is this: Jason Bay has been to two All-Star games, things I no longer respect since the players elected Jason Varitek. Also, "one of the most underrated hitters in the league?"

Seriously?

Believe me, if this was the Yankees that did all of this, I'd be trying to talk myself into it as well, but the fact is Jason Bay isn't underrated at all, he's good. He's not Manny Ramirez.

Can the hyperbole stop?

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Oh, and I'm tired of hearing about how Theo did the best he could considering the situation.

Instead, I'd think Theo could have sat down with Tito and John Henry (who allegedly didn't want to trade Manny for 80 cents on a dollar) and figured everything out, just like the last three years.

That would have been Theo doing the best he could have with this situation, not trading Manny.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I agree to a point, but as far as teams I think the AL is much better. I just think it will be a different situation for Mr. Bay, that's all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.