1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB Trade Deadline Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Beaker, Jul 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I don't know, but as a Kemp owner, I'm not all that thrilled today.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Same here, PO. Torre spent the first month of the season looking for excuses not to play Kemp. Not a good sign.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Gammons is also saying the Sox will have to pay $7 million to the Dodgers.

So, Jason Bay was just traded for Manny Ramirez, Craig Hansen, Brandon Moss and $7 million.

Wow, he better be as good as some on this thread are saying or else the Red Sox just got hosed.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Oh, there is no question the Red Sox just got hosed. Bay is a nice player, better than some here want to give him credit for, but he ain't worth all that.

5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

The Red Sox got fucked. They get a good player in Bay for at least two years, but in the short run (at least the next three years), Manny would have been more valuable. Bay may be younger than Manny, but he is 29, turns 30 in September. Plus they are playing $7 million to the Dodgers.

They also gave up their first round pick from 2005 in Hansen and an outfielder in Moss who was blocked in their organziation and could break out in Pittsburgh like David Murphy, who was considered a throw-in in the Gagne trade, has done for Texas.

Compare that to the Yankees, who got Nady and Marte, who are both guaranteed for this year and next, for four prospects, none who are close to being guaranteed above-average players.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

As a Red Sox fan, I'm furious right now. What the hell has changed about Ramirez, other than the fact that he gave an interview saying he wanted to be traded as opposed to just sulking about it privately? He pulls this every year. He's nuts. He's goofy. He throws clubhouse employees to the ground when they don't give him tickets. He's also probably the best right handed hitter in baseball not named Pujols or A-Rod.

Stupid, stupid trade. I've always disliked Jason Bay. I'm willing to give the front office plenty of leeway after '04 and '07, but this blows.

7. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Wait...wait...wait.

There's TWO Double Downs? One a Sox fan, the other a Royals fan?

What a messed up day.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I'll say one thing. It's not so terrific to be Jason Bay right now. If he has a bit of trouble adjusting to a league change (known to happen) and gets off to a 4-27 start for the Sox, his August and September could be very unpleasant months.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

This is clear: Boston was sick and goddamned tired of Manny bein' Manny.

Didn't the Red Sox dump Nomar Garciaparra in a three-team deal right at the deadline before they made their World Series run in 2004? And didn't they do all right with Orlando Cabrera and Dougie Consonants, who they picked up in that trade?

10. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

At the time, everyone said Theo got ripped off on that one too.

I think it's a fine deal for the Sox. Hansen wasn't going to amount to anything in Boston and Moss was never going to have a spot in that outfield. $7 million means jack shit to the franchise to have to kick in.

This just shows how sick of Manny everyone was. It was clear that the team was done with him, especially during last night's horrid game.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

True. But he no longer plays for the Pirates. Heckuva counterbalance.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

well, manny's in blue now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.