1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB Trade Deadline Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Beaker, Jul 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Ramirez can hit anywhere. As for saying Bay will replace him, ha! Bay is an above-average hitter. Ramirez is a first ballot Hall lock.
    Ramirez is not a terrible fielder. He's merely poor. He has a poor first step, so can't catch up to many balls, but if he can get up to speed, he can make plays. He IS a terrible baserunner.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

There was a really pointless discussion about whether Bay is good enough to "replace" Ramirez; it hijacked the thread for no good reason and wandered aimlessly through statistics, Manny's age and Bay's potential upside.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Darn, sorry I missed it.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Exactly. And Manny definitely knew how to play the Monster, which is not easy for people who have little experience with it.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Actually, I don't think it proves anything. But sometimes it is fun to apply a little logic.

6. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I love these the two stories so far about the trade on ESPN and SI.

ESPN:

SI:

Why don't they just admit who broke what part of the story first? I guess it's just a way of admitting to lose on portion with "we have learned."

7. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

OK ... spnited, turn away ...

I have a fantasy baseball question, since I'm the commissioner in an NL-only league. Do 3-way trades technically go down as 3-way trades, or do they go down as two separate 2-team trades? I ask because the owners of Bay and LaRoche will both want Manny. If it's a 3-way, then the owner of Bay -- who plays the same position as Manny and is currently on a 25-man roster -- will get Manny. But if it's technically two separate deals, with Manny going to the Dodgers for the prospects as the first, then he goes to LaRoche's owner.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

That sums it up pretty damn well actually.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Wouldn't he go to the owner losing Bay anyway because LaRoche is staying in the National League?

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

That's the way we do it in our NL-only league.

Guy losing someone to the AL gets first crack at the guy coming over to the NL, assuming it was a trade for players of the same position.

11. Hammer Pants

Absolutely correct, fellas. I didn't think about that part. Thanks.

12. Hammer Pants

How the hell are the Dodgers going to manage their outfield rotation now?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.