1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB Trade Deadline Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Beaker, Jul 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Baseball 101: Players designated for assignment, like LaTroy Hawkins, can still be traded.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I have a feeling the Yankees could still be in on this.

Make him the everyday first baseman, move Giambi back to DH, have Damon and Nady platoon in left and let Nady give Abreu an occasional off day in right.

Ian Kennedy could be the pitcher and then I don't know who else.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The Diamondbacks already told the Braves there is no way they are giving up Jackson in that deal because they know they won't be able to keep Teixeira. They would keep Jackson in left field for the rest of the season, them move him back to first bace for 2009, when they hope Eric Byrnes is healthy enough to return in left.

I understand the thinking with Tracy. He is also insurance behind Chipper Jones at third base. I wonder if the Braves might move Jones to first base for next season to try to cut down on some wear and tear.

It really comes down to what you think about Owings.

4. outofplace

He would make some sense for the Yankees, especially if they think it would help to sign him in the offseason. But do they really need another bat more than they need starting pitching help?

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

No, not really, but the only starting pitching help I've heard bandied about is Jarrod freaking Washburn. So, I guess they probably just won't do anything and try and sign him in the offseason.

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

The Braves sent Texas a buncha prospects, including Jarrod Saltalamacchia, who has struggled at the major league level. So far, even though Teixeira hasn't had the overall desired effect, the Braves have gotten the better of that deal. Five years from now, who knows how it will be viewed.

Where Teixeira is concerned, the Braves are really stuck. If they can get Owings or Jackson, that'd be a great deal on their side. I just can't figure why Arizona would do either deal, knowing Teixeira is gone. I think Atlanta's going to end up taking the draft picks. Now, Will Ohman might be a different story, because he's more signable and down the stretch a reliable left-handed releiver might well be more valuable than a big bat. The Braves might actually get something decent for him.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Like most traded Braves prospects.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Yep. :D

Braves definitely got the best of the Tex deal. Hope Wren can keep up the same level of success as Schuerholz did.

9. outofplace

I'm not writing Owings off at all, though his value has to be down a bit right now. I do wonder if the Bravers really could get Loney from the Dodgers. I prefer his upside to that of Owings.

novelist, the appeal for the Diamondbacks is they feel they can win now, but they need to add a masher to the lineup to do it. The NL West is a joke and adding a hitter like Teixeira could put Arizona over the top. If the Diamondbacks can get in, they have an improved lineup and the 1-2 combination of Webb and Haren to rely on.

I can see taking that shot being worth giving up Tracy and Owings, but not Jackson.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Apparently Joel Sherman and Heyman are saying the Dodgers and Red Sox are in serious talks about trading Manny. The Sox would then turn around and trade Youk for Teixeira.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

This will not happen.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I kind of hope it does, but I tend to agree with you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.