1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB Trade Deadline Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Beaker, Jul 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Cardinals.

Dude should live out of a suitcase, even in the offseason.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Exactly.

Can you imagine the circus if the Wild Card comes down to that?

I just hope the Yankees don't have a group of Mussina-Ponson-Rasner on the hill. For that matter I don't want a group of Mussina-Pavano-Hughes on the hill either.

Hopefully it works out that it is Wang-Chamberlain-Pettitte with Mussina available for relief or Game 1 of the playoffs.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Twins and White Sox may have some say in that and the Twins close out at home against KC. Chisox also close out at home, against Cleveland.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah but in Villone's defense, he gets traded as often as Amy Winehouse goes into rehab. So even the false alarms have an element of inevitability to them.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Very true, that's why I included the word imagine.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Not to mention the sheer boredom he will have playing in front of 8,000 fans. Although, he will have a scoreboard that he can hide in.

7. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

OK, Buckdubs and Co., Jeff Schultz's latest blog indicates that he's thinking along the same lines as me. At least one team official thinks they'll be able to spend some dough.

I'm sure I'll eventually be proven wrong, but I really think they'll at least make a semi-serious run at Sabathia or Sheets.

I hope this doesn't sound inappropriate ... but Sabathia could be a welcome marketing tool in that area. I really think it could work.

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/ajc/schultz/entries/2008/07/30/braves_have_money_to_spend_reb.html

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Dude, they have no starting pitching. I don't care how good your batting order is, unless you score 12 a game, you're not going to win shit with their starting pitching.

I saw them in two series recently. The best starter was Maholm, who is probably a No. 3 or 4 starter on a contending team. The rest of it is Triple A crap, and my understanding is they have nothing better on the way.

9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Interesting story by Bill Madden in the Daily News saying Pudge called a meeting with Dombrowski and suggested the trade to New York.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Oddly enough, from what I've read, it sounds like the Bucs/Sox/Marlins trade would actually be a good one for the Pirates, who might not get fleeced for once. If those teams can pull that trade in such a short time, it will be impressive.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

You mean he had a scoreboard he could hide in.

I can't believe this deal might actually happen.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Man... you and your understanding of finances need to take a rest.

The Marlins would get Manny for two months, and lose a burgeoning left-handed power hitter.

Awful math.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.