1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB Trade Deadline Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Beaker, Jul 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Florida has been stock-piling prospects at the double-A level. You could send Ryan Tucker (in over his head right now in Florida, but a Bartolo Colon-like starter), Aaron Thompson or Brett Sinkbeil and get some good pieces back.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Baseball Prospectus' Will Carroll is saying it is all but done and it is on Selig's desk (because more than $1 million will be changing hands).

From a Yankees perspective I really, really like this deal.

From a Red Sox perspective it's not terrible, but that depends on what prospects are leaving.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=967

3. Dejan Kovacevic and PG blog reporting deal in works
    http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs/pbc/archive/2008/07/30/pirates-red-sox-marlins-talk-3-way.aspx

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Baseball's salary structure needs to be re-worked. After all, it's not fair the Marlins can land one of the best players on the planet as a mere rental. muahahhahahahaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

I'll still believe this when I see it.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I know you are a closet Yankees fan at heart, so you should be crossing your fingers with me that this goes through.

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I hope it does go through.

Next up: Getting rid of Ortiz.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Nah, it will be amusing to watch him get pitched around and then resort to flailing around the strike zone when he has Jason Bay behind him rather than Manny Ramirez.

8. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Y'all are worried about the wrong AL East contenders. Fear the Rays!

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Nah ... let the Yankees and Sox beat on each other. Same effect as the second- and third-place cars in a NASCAR race running side-by-side while the lead car pulls away unmolested. :D

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Wrong.

As I just told the girlfriend, I assume the Rays will win the East, leaving the Yankees and Red Sox to have a backyard brawl for the Wild Card.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Who does Ron Villone play for these days?

My brother said he heard he just got traded.

12. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I agree. I don't think anyone is touching the Rays right now unless they go ice cold again. It'll be an interesting series when the Sox and Yankees close out the regular season against one another at Fenway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.