1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB Trade Deadline Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Beaker, Jul 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Good god, the Yankees have really soldified their team without giving up much. I like their aggression around the trading deadline, especially since they've played their best ball in the second half over the past few seasons. Adding Nady, Marte, and I-Rod and subtracting Farnsworth will help them battling Tampa and Boston down the stretch.

Question that's probably been asked before: if Manny leaves after the season, do the Red Sox get any draft picks or wouldn't they because he has a team option? I could definitely see the team dumping Ramirez to the Marlins, which wouldn't bother many Sox fans, although the return will be pathetic. Josh Willingham or Jeremy Hermida...ugh.The boobirds he has endured recently at Fenway suggests that the locals have finally had enough with his juvenile behavior. Time to part ways before things get really ugly.

2. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

If Manny finishes the season with the sox, they get the picks if they offer him arbitration and he declines (which he will). It doesn't matter that they will have declined the option.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

This may be just fanboi board ramblings. But I wonder if Pudge was a bit of a cancer in the clubhouse this season. Maybe he didn't like the moves the Tigers made in the offseason.

Might also explain the Tigers' early season slide (divisive clubhouse in addition with the absence of their leadoff guy Granderson).

Pudge did have a no-trade clause that he waived. Who knows tho?

4. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

The Sox should be looking for nothing less than Matt Holliday or Adam Dunn to replace Manny. Although Dunn's BA is god awful, but can't pass on those power numbers.

5. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Why would either of those teams be buyers?

6. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Well, the Rockies are looking to lose Holliday to try and get some pitching prospects in there. So maybe the deal of Manny and a pitcher can get Holliday and Fuentes. Fuentes being a pitcher that the Sox have been very interested in obtaining.

7. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Holliday and Ramirez are currently probably a wash offensively and Matt's way younger. It doesn't seem worth it for the Rockies to take the headcase.

8. Overrated

Overrated Guest

The Rockies would be absolute idiots to entertain any offer that centers around Holliday and Manny.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

OH MY GOD OF ALL THE THINGS I HAVE EVER SEEN KYLE FARNSWORTH IS CRYING AT HIS LOCKER RIGHT NEXT TO ME! KYLE FARNSWORTH IS IN THE YANKEES LOCKER ROOM AND HE IS CRYING! OH MY GOD!!!

10. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Here's the latest rumor:

"ESPN.com reported that the Red Sox would have to kick in money to help the Marlins pay the remainder of Ramirez's 2008 salary, and that they would want outfielder Jeremy Hermida or Josh Willingham back in the deal, as well as unspecified pitchers.

A Major League source told MLB.com that the trade could involve a third team, the Pirates, and outfielder Jason Bay could wind up in Boston with Hermida going to Pittsburgh."

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080730&content_id=3225450&vkey=trade2008&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

They are?

Since when?

12. The Pirates are looking to move outfielder Jason Bay for additional help on the pitcher's mound as they're supposedly asking Tampa Bay for RHP Wade Davis, RHP Jeff Niemann, and SS Reid Brignac. The Pirates have little interest in acquiring an outfielder like Jeremy Hermida unless they're getting two quality pitchers in the deal. Pittsburgh has options in the outfield with former #1 pick Andrew McCutchen in Triple-A Indianapolis waiting for his major league debut.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.