1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB Top 32

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Baseball's stat Nazis, of whom there are more than a few on this board, will assure you that mere hits mean nothing. None of them ever stop to wonder why there have never been any players who can draw 200 walks in a season but only get 50 hits.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Baseball's dumber fans will continue to gloss over outs, as if they don't matter, because 150 years ago some guy forgot to include them in the box score and they can't critically think beyond that.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Michael, that is a riduculous analogy and you know it.
    Hits are damn important, so is not making a lot of outs.

4. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

Damn them for figuring out the numbers to back up what every little league coach since the dawn of time has known. Walk or a knock, just need you on. Take you either way, here.
    The logic in play here is just staggeringly bad. What can your negative hypothetical possibly prove?
    Not making an out is not making an out. Wear one, walk, single, just get on. This is really some kind of blasphemy to some?

5. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

A single drives in runners from second and third. A walk doesn't.

If it were me, I'd want walks from the top of my order and hits from most of the rest.

The Blues Brothers hate Illinois Nazis. I hate baseball stat Nazis.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

No, Mark, a walk is as good as a hit, most of the time, and people who draw walks have value. BUT without hits, there aren't any walks. If the pitcher thinks you can't hurt him, he throws strikes. In this case, we do know if the chicken or the egg comes first.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

and how does an out score those runners on second and third? Is anybody here saying they wouldn't prefer a hit in that situation? No, they are saying they just don't want an out.

8. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

If the guy who's up is a .275 hitter with tons of RBI, and the next guy is a .220 hitter who strikes out, then I don't just want a walk.

Situations are what matter. Stat nazis don't grasp that, or at least they pretend not to.

9. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

This assumes facts not in evidence, two of which are glaring. One is that a pitcher can always control whether the pitch is a strike or a ball. The other is that there are hitters in the major leagues who cannot hit strikes hard enough to "hurt" the opposing pitcher. I don't think either assumption is true.

Regardless, if what you MEAN is that you have to be able to hit to draw walks, and that the players who can ALSO walk are more valuable, I think we're actually in complete agreement. They are different skills. Ichiro doesn't walk, and instead slaps a lot of ground ball, awkward singles. He hits 200 of them a year, and that makes him extremely valuable. All advanced statistics are going to tell you is that while Ichiro's value is well-known, there are some guys out there who will give you 80 walks and 20 doubles and 20 homers whose value has not been appreciated -- but who produce for your team, just in a different way.

Either way, the stat Nazis crap, the idea that anyone thinks hits mean nothing, etc. etc. All well beneath you.

10. RickStain

The walk is still better.

11. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

Than the two-RBI hit? OK. Not sure I want to hear the explanation behind that, but ...

12. RickStain

A walk is better than the unknown outcome before the at-bat.

The average runs scored with a .220 hitter up with the bases loaded is higher than the .275 hitter with runners on 2nd and 3rd.

Draft saved Draft deleted