1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB Top 32

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

@Rick, I see your point. I just don't think he's the game's best player.
    @dreunc1542, I should've written a single dominanting player in the game.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

probably about $1.0336 of an American born player.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I admire Chase Utley as much as Joe does, but I really question putting a player on the top guys of the year list when there's a real question if he's going to play in that year.
    If you could take the 32 GMs, shoot them up with truth serum, and have them have a fantasy draft, I'd love to see their 32 picks. I bet they'd be about 24 which were just like Joe's, a few surprises, and a few howlers.

4. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

Two things.

1. I don't care how much you claim it's, "Like, my opinion, man," if you say Albert Pujols isn't dominant, you're wrong. On the facts.

2. As good as Miguel Cabrera is -- and he is, and he is underrated -- he is not arguably the best hitter in baseball. Because Albert Pujols is the best hitter in baseball. He's No. 1. There's no 1A.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Pujols didn't have the best year for a hitter last year, and he's 31, so I don't think it's unreasonable to project he might not be the best hitter this year.

6. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

These discussions often go nowhere, but I'll bite. Who was the best hitter? Cabrera?

7. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

In the NL, Votto had a very slight edge last season. As to whether you think Pujols is a better bet to "rebound" than Votto is to repeat his performance... That's arguable, I suppose.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

A lot depends on how you define "hitter", and I understand that power is a factor, but you can certainly make a case the Ichiro is the best hitter in baseball.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

No you can't

10. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

[quote author=secretariat]
    Because we don't use stolen bases to measure the best player. Otherwise, Juan Pierre wouldn't suck.

[/quote]

Funny you should mention this. We have a guy on our staff who just went through a huge big deal taking Juan Pierre's career stats over the 11 seasons he's been in the bigs and comparing them to the stats over the same period (first 11 seasons) for three players who are in the Hall of Fame (Lou Brock, Rod Carew and Ozzie Smith).

You would be astounded (I sure as hell was) to learn that Juan Pierre stacks up pretty favorably with all three. I'm not suggesting that Juan Pierre is anywhere close to being a Hall of Fame candidate, but the stats are what they are.

11. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

Juan Pierre is one of those guys who's pretty good for three years and then sucks for two. Hard to gauge what he'll give you.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

A lot of outs

Draft saved Draft deleted