1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB Top 32

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Apr 3, 2011.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Starlin Castro. He's hitting .615 and is on pace for 162 extra-base hits.

Serious answer: Joey Votto has been Pujols (maybe even a bit better) for two years straight now, and is less likely to see some age-related decline. Wouldn't be a bad bet.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

When you look at many of the "top 10" lists from fantasy leagues, it seems like there are 7 or 8 players that could move to top for 2011 if all breaks right. Staying injury free is paramount. Votto definitely on that list.
    The guy who is a real enigma to me is Carlos Gonzales. Is he for real or a one season wonder?

3. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Miguel Cabrera, at 14, is way too low. He's easily top three.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

By adding way more value overall than anybody else. That's like asking how the guy with 10 $100-bills is richer than the guy with 5 $100-bills, 5 twenties and a few ones.

"How can he be richer when he doesn't have any ones?"

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Kemp seems unusually interested in playing this season -- is it a contract year? -- which would put him up there pretty high if he keeps it up.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Until Pos went to SI, I had no idea he was such a seamhead.

7. Boom_70

I always figured he was given his time in KC. At some point a little of Bill James had to rub off on him. Perhaps a further window into his beef with Murray Chass.

I love this column on the top 32. A lot of good information packed in. Wish I read before I drafted my fantasy team.

8. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Cabrera at 14 with his "off the field problems"? Really? Yes, because baseball players have never drank. He is arguably the best pure hitter in baseball, and I'd put Pujols at 1 and Cabrera at 1A, just in terms of being a threat at the plate. He's not that bad of a defensive player, either, considering his size and lack of athleticism in the field.

Maybe I am biased because I have seen Cabrera carry the Tigers ever since he showed up, but he is a beast.

9. Boom_70

In this day and age agree you have to factor "off field problems" in. Remember this list is based on 2011 projected performance.
    Agree though that Cabrera would be higher on my list.

Wonder where Mickey Mantle or Babe Ruth would have been listed.

10. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

Too bad you can't just admit you're wrong, especially when you're wrong so often.

Pujols was the team leader in SBs at one point last year.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

Wrong often? Look I'm ending this conversation very quickly. I don't see him as baseball's best all-around player. One of the top 3, yes, but there is no dominant player in the game today. That's my opinion.

12. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

What a tremendous debate tactic. You disagree with one man's top pick, then to avoid having to name your own top pick, you say there shouldn't be a top pick. Kudos, Drip.

Draft saved Draft deleted