1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB to Small Town America: Drop Dead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Nov 18, 2019.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It would truly suck to see the NW League go away - not only that, the West Coast League is a very healthy wood-bat collegiate league.

I Should Coco likes this.
  2. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

The MLB-MiLB agreement ends on Wednesday, so I think more details will become clearer after that.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The farm system is a good loss leader. It draws families and younger kids in smaller towns to the games, and you groom them to follow Joey Shoelaces when he makes it to the bigs. There is something to be said for that.

PaperDoll and maumann like this.
  4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Short-sighted stupidity is baseball's brand. It was when I was first old enough to get baseball in 1960 and it hasn't changed in 60 years. MLB is the ultimate abusive partner.

maumann likes this.
  5. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

I jumped off after the 1994 cluster and subsequent erosion of my Expos. I’ve tried to get back into it, but it really seems charmless. Minor league ball was always part of the lore and the fabric of the game. Gutting it seems like a fundamental breach of the social contract.

maumann and wicked like this.
  6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It's worse than that. Minor league ball makes money. Not much, but some. So it has to be erased because MLB owners are both greedy and stupid. If I'm advising Joe Biden, his first play on Tuesday is, "if your town loses its minor league franchise, Rob Manuel dies in prison."

maumann likes this.
  7. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

Since we are on the topic, Eckersley winning the ‘92 MVP over Frank Thomas is a joke. Heck, could have handled Puckett over Eck; however, Big Hurt deserved it.

JC likes this.
  8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

They also don’t pay the player even close to a living wage.

maumann likes this.
  9. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

And now they won't have to pay college kids anything! What a scam.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Roger Goodell is consulting MLB on the realignment of the farm system.

maumann likes this.
  11. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

That's the long-term strategy, I believe. The NFL and NBA use the colleges as glorified farm systems for free. Baseball owners are jealous and cheap.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

And if anyone does get paid, the NCAA will get mad and put the Toledo Mud Hens on probation.

maumann and HanSenSE like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted