1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB to ESPN: Drop dead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by steveu, Jul 6, 2007.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

I disagree. [size=16pt]MLB YELLED IN REALLY BIG BOLD LETTERS ON THE PRESS RELEASES THAT THIS INFORMATION HAD TO BE EMBARAGOED UNTIL THE END OF THE TBS SHOW. Anyone who got the release(s) knew no one except TBS could release the info until the end of that silly ass show. If PR directors throughout the land were checking their watches and reminding folks the TBS exclusive was still alive, then ESPN has no excuse for not doing the same.

Again: I'm glad MLB is putting the screws to ESPN here. Because if this were Joe Blow releasing the info--even accidentally because the damn Braves-Marlins game went eight hours too long--it certainly would yank his credentials..

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

They probably pulled it off the wire.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Speaking of the wire, I'm really kind of amazed and ticked that AP has not chosen to address this. At all.

4. markvid

markvid Guest

Address which part of it?

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Just the fact that ESPN has been banned from the site. I would think that's worth a story.

6. markvid

markvid Guest

Honestly, does anyone outside the media care?

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'm as big as anyone on us not being the story, but yeah, I think this is eye-popping enough. I know I'd certainly make a point of getting it into our daily notes package.

8. markvid

markvid Guest

True enough.

9. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-all-stars-espn&prov=ap&type=lgns

There's your AP story.

I don't know how the logistics of satellites and broadcast feeds work, but would it be possible for ESPN to just broadcast their Baseball Tonight show from somewhere else in San Francisco, away from the stadium?

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

So AP effed up, too. Had a feeling all along that's what happened.

11. markvid

markvid Guest

It's easily done, but MLB controls that, too, if I'm not mistaken.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

And really, if you could do that and did, wouldn't you just be escalating the war? Maybe ESPN just wants to take its medicine and move on.

Draft saved Draft deleted