1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB to ESPN: Drop dead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by steveu, Jul 6, 2007.

1. markvid

markvid Guest

I gotta believe a colossal error was made, not ESPN sticking it to TBS.
    That being said, this is a HUGE error by MLB. They lose a lot of attention to the game.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

How do you figure? TBS has the peripheral crap instead of ESPN anyway, so people who tune to ESPN for that won't be there.
    And ESPN is still committed to the highlight show...

3. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

My point exactly markvid. The All-Star game is already pretty much a joke. Losing coverage from ESPN only compounds the issue. I didn't mean to say that MLB would be doomed, I meant the All-Star game would suffer big time.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

All-Star game won't suffer; the made-for-TV/Fan crap like home run derby, celebrity softball and other dumbass stuff might lose viewers.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Yeah, but those ratings that dropped would also be reflected in ESPN's numbers, and the WWL would never sabotage itself like that.

6. markvid

markvid Guest

TBS is doing programming from San Fran?

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Of course not. However, how is a couple minute standup in SC and a baseball tonight show it's still going to do anyway an error?

8. markvid

markvid Guest

Oh, I see what you mean now, sorry.
    They were not supposed to mention anything about the list until after TBS left the air.
    So, they must have done it sometime between 4 and 5PM
    So, I'm wondering if it wasn't ESPNews that did it. If so, some producer was sitting there Sunday night going "what? we weren't supposed to? but it was on AP!"

9. KP

KP Active Member

The article mentions the rain delay in the Braves game pushing the announcement show back...

10. markvid

markvid Guest

Oh, that might really mean it was an error, not intentional.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking. TBS was supposed to air its show around 4 PM after the Braves-Marlins game in Miami, but there was a rain delay. That said, this is as much sack as MLB has shown on any issue that I can remember. But then, it had a recent precedent from the NCAA to follow ...

12. markvid

markvid Guest

And it's BS, it's an honest mistake. You don't go whipping it out against someone who pays you a lot of money just because.

Draft saved Draft deleted