1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB to ESPN: Drop dead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by steveu, Jul 6, 2007.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

From the Hollywood Reporter website. All I have to say is wow.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3icec89c18d5ef8ec58165dfae65c9791c

No registration needed, I believe, but in case it asks you to log on: ESPN broadcast All-Star selections Sunday, a few minutes after TBS unveiled them. MLB steamed, tells ESPN most of its All-Star credentials are revoked.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Somewhere, Harold Reynolds is enjoying this news.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Should MLB start a war with ESPN, I'll take the Worldwide Leader and the points.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

My question would be, what happens to the Home Run Derby? I mean, ESPN is still broadcasting content from At&T Park.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I'll take that bet and go with MLB. I'd follow MLB to any station.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

MLB is one of the few sports leagues that could potentially sustain without "Braaack, braack, braack" Berman and the other cavalcade of slaps. NBA has exclusive broadcasting rights with TNT and ESPN. NFL has exclusive rights with Fox, ESPN, NBC. Hockey...who gives a fuck? But MLB has a deal with Fox and each team in each city negotiates its own deal with it's local cable provider. If ESPN told MLB "fuck off," today, I'd still have baseball on TBS, Fox Sports Pittsburgh and Comcast Sports Net for the Phillies, Nats and Orioles. I actually couldnt tell you the last time I watched a baseball game on ESPN.

7. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I'd join you.

If I read that correctly, the Associated Press reported the National League roster and ESPN reported it on SC, and then both rosters shortly after TBS. Once all the selections were announced, no doubt AP would have them on the wire.

If it's been reported, it's fair game. Right? If there's an embargo or agreement between TV networks but AP does not agree and reports the news, why should anyone else be bound to the embargo?

In that case, fuck MLB and good for ESPN.

But if ESPN agreed to an embargo with MLB to make nice due to its contracts to show the home run derby or other events, then MLB may have some solid ground.

If the roles were reversed, ESPN's brass would be going nuts about TBS doing the same.

TV people ... ::)

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

That one's easy, shotty. I'll take MLB.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

That's what it sounds like. From the link that started the thread ...

The brouhaha started late Sunday afternoon when MLB had unveiled the All-Star selections in an hourlong show that was scheduled by contract to be exclusive to new rights-holder Turner Broadcasting. Other media, including ESPN, were prevented from disclosing the names until after the Turner show. Sources familiar with the situation said that ESPN had asked for permission to do a special All-Star selection show but was told that as in the past when it was ESPN's under the rights deal this was an exclusive.

10. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

They will be out there Tuesday with a kayak and a hand held

11. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

It is so much more painful that you know ... well, I guess you could've worked in TV too. Those people are the most annoying fucks out there. KUNT-TV stole that from us. Yeah, nevermind you both stole it from Podunk Press.

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Nice call-sign. That for the PBS station at the University of North Texas?

Draft saved Draft deleted