1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB Thread Number 3, 2007

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, May 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Rollins should be hitting fifth with Victorino leading off and Rowand hitting second. Howard will snap out of his funk eventually, but until he does you need someone picking him up in the five hole. And did anyone see Burrell flat out drop that flyball in the sixth last night?

2. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Also an indictment of the guy filling out the lineup card. Right now, Burrell's not much as a No. 5 hitter. But then again, he's got the wrong guy hitting leadoff, the wrong guy hitting No. 2 and the wrong guy hitting No. 4. No reason to think he'd have the right guy hitting No. 5.

Today's lineup is a little different, though. Be interesting to watch the result.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Which further negates his on-base percentage.

This is an instance where OBP is a misleading stat because he's not doing a damn thing to help his team win.

4. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Doesn't take away from the fact that if you get on base 40 percent of the time, you're contributing plenty to the offense. Most of the runs scored have little to do with a guy's speed. If the guys behind him are doing their job, he'll score plenty of runs getting on base at that rate.

5. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Oh, he's slooooooow, do doubt. But, in all honesty, how often does a guy clogging up the bases really hurt? I've seen him go 1st-to-3rd enough times to be willing to risk him higher in the order.

And the Phils already get a guy thrown out at home every other game. Burrell higher in the order can't make things any worse.

Anybody can score from 2nd on a double. And anybody can score from anywhere on a homer. Speed on the bases ... at least on batted balls ... is overrated, IMO.

6. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

How I'd do it:

1. Victorino -- If he continues to get on base and not make stupid decisions on the basepaths.
    2. Burrell -- Gets on base and sees LOTS of pitches.
    3. Rollins -- Only one of the best hitters in the league right now.
    4. Utley -- Warming up, at least I hope.
    5. Howard/Rowand -- LHP/RHP platoon
    6. Rowand/Howard -- Rowand's been great so far. Howard, not so much.
    7. Helms -- Whatever.
    8. Ruiz -- Whatever II.
    9. Pitcher

7. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

ST. LOUIS (AP) — Cardinals pitcher Chris Carpenter, sidelined since opening day with an elbow injury, will undergo arthroscopic surgery early next week after suffering a setback in his rehab program.
    Carpenter, a 15-game winner last year and the NL Cy Young award winner in 2005, will be out at least three months, the team said Saturday. An exam on Friday with Dr. George Paletta, the team’s medical supervisor, revealed recurrent swelling, stiffness and loss of motion.

8. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Here's how I'd do it:
    1. Victorino -- Could be a little more patient, but when he's hitting he's a headache for pitchers and now he's stealing bases.
    2. Rowand -- Gets on base a lot when he's hitting well, which he's doing right now
    3. Utley -- You're perfect three-hole hitter. Hits for average, power and can run
    4. Howard -- When he's on he's the perfect cleanup guy. He'll find his stroke soon.
    5. Rollins -- You need someone behind Howard to make him pitch to him. Rollins could be a 25-30 homer guy here
    6. Burrell -- He has proven he can't handle protecting Howard. Let's see if he can protect Helms/Ruiz
    7. Helms/Ruiz -- Ruiz here when Nunez plays
    8. Ruiz/Barajas/Nunez -- In that order when they're playing as long as Helms isn't playing.
    9. Pitcher

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Meanwhile, the NL East currently has 4 shortstops having all-star caliber seasons:

Reyes, Rollins, Ramirez and Renteria.

10. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

yeah, deleted that as soon as I saw it. Got distracted by all the names beginning with "R."

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Add Hardy and Gonzalez and there are 6 NL shortstops hitting .313 or better

12. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

I'd like to invite MLB to fuck itself. Can't watch Phils-SF on MLB.tv because it's blacked out. And what's my local Fox station showing? Mariners-Yankees. Because God forbid I miss a Yankees game. They're sooooo great. And not on that much, you know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.