1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB Thread Number 3, 2007

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, May 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

My question is this: Is there really anything Cashman can do at this point to fix the pitching? Or does he have to keep throwing minor leaguers out there and hope he catches lightning in a bottle? At this point, it seems unlikely he will be able to trade for anyone good.

2. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Hey guys (and girls) just wondering if this happens to anyone else:

I'm a HUGE baseball fan. And when the season begins, I immerse myself in it. Then, baseball, golf and lacrosse start here in my town and I have to work a little more and a little longer and I fall off the MLB wagon.

How do you guys stay close to the game? I'm probably asking people who work at a mid-sized daily and smaller papers, like me.

Do you read? Watch highlights? What do you do?

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

If Cashman wants to add a starter, Clemens is a free agent. But do the Yankees want to sign him for $20 some odd million for five months?

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I work at a small paper and the internet on my phone has gone a long ways toward keeping me updated. I bookmark the play by play on the Yankees game through Yahoo and periodically during whatever I am covering I get on and stay up to date on at least their game.
    My family are all diehard Yankees fans as well, so my dad and brother tend to call me when they know I am covering stuff and give me updates.
    As far as the rest of the league, I honestly stay up to date by playing fantasy baseball (hi, spnited). I've been in a league with the same guys for about 6 years now and it forces you to know players from around MLB and keeps me interested in games I would normally not care or watch (ie., Diamondbacks-Padres, Royals-Tigers, Marlins-Phillies).
    I also like to go through every boxscore on Yahoo at the end of the night and just see who did what.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I guess I meant besides Clemens. Shit, at this point I'd say sign Clemens for $60 million. Nothing could be worse than Kei Igawa being run out there every fifth day.
    Also, with my hindsight is best vision, apparently Cashman should have traded Pavano for 50 cents on the dollar when he had a chance in the offseason/spring training.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Igawa is still going to be out there every fifth day...by default

Wang, Mussina and Pettitte need to give them 7 innings every time out or they're dead meat.

Even if (when?) they sign Clemens, Igawa still looks like No. 5 (Darrell Rasner? Matt DeSalvo?) until Hughes comes back in two months (maybe).

7. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Yeah, I played fantasy for the same reason. But all my idiot friends don't take it seriously enough for me so I end up playing against myself - as in, I'm the only one managing a team.

If guys on here are interested (and will have me) I'm totally in for a league next season (or one that starts at the all-star break).

Also, as a kid, baseball cards were key to my knowledge. As a teen, I used to study stats like the stock market, trying to guess which players' cards would be worth something. Ultimately, all of them were worth nothing.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Let's say for argument's sake that the Yanks sign Clemens. The rotation becomes:
    Wang
    Mussina
    Pettitte
    Clemens
    Igawa

If and when Hughes comes back, does Igawa get moved to the bullpen? Do the Yanks call up Rasner, DeSalvo, Chase Wright and (when he recovers from the broken leg) Jeff Karstens as long relievers and/or set-up men?

9. Casty - that thing about Headbutt being right about Maine just proves the old expression about blind squirrels.

Craig Biggio meanwhile needs just one more double to tie Yaz for 7th place all-time. He also just needs 41 more hits for 3,000. Only Palmeiro, Rickey Henderson and Pete Rose have more hits and are NOT in the Hall of Fame. I can't believe some people are still on the fence about Biggio and the HoF.

Here's something to think about - Ichiro is a free agent at the end of the year and it looks like he wants to move on from Seattle - so too is Mark Teixeira in Texas. If these teams fall out of contention (which they will) - do they trade these guys? If so - who to? The Yankees could use a 1st baseman - do they do a deal for Teixeira (with the hopes that the extra half-season gives them an advantage over Baltimore for his services in the offseason)?

And Casty - you are right about Smoltz - he's a first ballot guy in my book.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I thought Teixeira wasn't eligible for free agency until after the 2008 season. His contract is up, but I believe he is only arbitration-eligible after this season. Do I have that wrong?

Edit: Answered my own question. Teixeira cannot become a free agent until after the 2008 season.

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

A question: If the Yankees are truly interested in trading for Teixeira and Ichiro, what can they offer the Mariners and Rangers?

12. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Among all the free-agent starting pitcher signings, no one got more shit than the Royals for signing Gil Meche at 5 years, 55 mil.

Not Zito, who got 120 mil. Not Dice-K, who got 51 mil after bidding 51 mil just to offer 51 mil. Not even Ted Lilly, an above average pitcher at best who got 40 mil.

Meche is the only one out of all of them (Lilly has a case) who has earned his check five weeks in. The only one. In fact, Dice-K has an ERA over 5 and a WHIP over 1.30.

Comments? Did Kansas City make a smart deal?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.