1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB takes over Dodgers -- Update 2; Magic Johnson group gets club for $2 billion

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Apr 20, 2011.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Re: MLB takes over Dodgers

Perhaps not the current economic conditions. My thought is there's a residual effect on spending decisions, though. Things got so tight for so many people in 2008 and 2009 that their spending habits changed and they allocated less money -- or none at all -- to entertainment expenses like going to sports events. That's certainly true in my case. Couple that with the advances in the experience of watching on TV mentioned by Kirk and Huggy, and it's not difficult to see where pro sports are being affected.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I have Extra Innings, I love baseball dearly, but I am not going to pay out the rectum when I have every game at the click of the scepter.

3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

As a Giants fan, I perhaps was a little more glib when I first saw this post. But in all honesty, something needs to be done with that organization. The fans don't care and until a guy got beat, literally, within an inch of his life, the stadium security was a joke. And how's this for bad: The Giants/Dodgers rivalry is one of those marquee match ups. It is fair to talk about it in the same breath as Yankees-Red Sox, Cardinals-Cubs, but there will not be another weekend series between the two teams in Los Angeles this year. We're in April and they are already played all their weekend series in LA. I guess that's baseball's fault, but still it's kind of telling.
    It's a sad time for baseball that it's come to this. I don't want the rivalry to go away and as much as I hate the Dodgers (and believe me I do), no team deserves this from it's owner and I hope the fans are absolutely livid right now.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I think a lot of baseball fans think like us. We get enough on TV and we're perfectly happy to watch a game on our couch or recliner, and have a good meal at home before the game.

I also scored a freelance gig with a Triple AAA team, so I get my fill seeing games in person.

5. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

Probably shouldn't make spelling claims if that is the evidence at hand.

Yeah, Selig's the worst. The Northeast crowd that revels in the competitive unbalance thinks otherwise. I tend to think that's more evidence against Selig, but to each his own.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Bud is far from the worst commissioner baseball, let alone all sports, has ever had. He has a mixed record. For all his blunders, and the despicable cronyism he uses in the ownership process, there's no denying that under Selig, the game has made more money for more people than at any time in its history. That counts, too.

7. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

Any of his alleged good points are wiped out by the destruction of ethics, competitive balance, tradition, sensible scheduling, and on and on.

Basically anything that baseball had been doing right has been tainted or destroyed by Selig. The records of his era will be scarred forever, and it will take decades to repair the damage he has done.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Selig himself as an owner was a direct product of the old-boys-club/cronyism process of franchise sales.

Selig was a member of the syndicate which bought the Milwaukee Braves with the express intent of moving the franchise to Atlanta (because a public stadium was being built at the time). Once that deal was done, he cashed out and attempted to hijack the White Sox for Milwaukee. That didn't work so he skipped off to Seattle to grab the misbegotten Pilots franchise and move THAT out of town.

So basically Selig played franchise-hostage with four different teams: the Milwaukee Braves, the Chicago White Sox, the Seattle Pilots and later the Milwaukee Brewers, which has to be the MLB career record (although John Henry is coming up fast).

Basically his whole ownership history has been based on the operating statement: FUCK THE FANS BUILD ME A NEW STADIUM AND I GET TO KEEP ALL OF THE FUCKING MONEY AND FUCK YOU IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT.

As for the fans who actually support and spend money on the franchises: Well, see the first three words of the above statement.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

There's a LOT of historical inaccuracies there.

10. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

But not the part implying that Selig never should have been commissioner to start with.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

name one

Be aware a lot of the accounts of the events have since been rewritten by the Selig-sucking MSM.

12. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

I think it's time to hitch the wagon to a Star(man) on this topic.

Draft saved Draft deleted