1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB takes over Dodgers -- Update 2; Magic Johnson group gets club for $2 billion

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Re: MLB takes over Dodgers

The Cubs are down 16 percent from this time last year, fourth from the bottom.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/42683786

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I was just thinking that.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

What's crazy about Selig's reign is it looks like he's going to have the longest streak without labor problems by this fall.
    This was a gift to take the team away from the McCourts. They shouldn't have any problems finding someone with enough money to take over the team - lets just hope it isn't a carpetbagger, a corporation or someone else who uses the team as an ATM.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Same here.

Selig deserves all the scorn he gets--and he deserves scorn here, too, b/c the Mets deserve this treatment as much if not more than the Dodgers, at least the McCourts weren't complicit in bankrupting thousands of people of billions of dollars, but hey, Bud likes Fred so it's OK--but let's give him a shred of credit: He fixed that Sox decision the right way. The other choices were McCourt or the REALLY stupid half of the Dolan family.

5. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I'm an Angel fan and have absolutely no love for the Dodgers, but one thing about this McCourt affair that pisses me off is the fact that, from what I've read, one of the reasons Selig liked McCourt to own the team is that he promised to keep the team payroll down.

Yeah, great Bud, make sure the marquee team on the West Coast doesn't spend on players, but those two rival clubs in the Northeast can just break the bank more than anybody else and you don't say boo to them.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I wonder if this will affect the on-field operation at all or maybe is just a step to get McCourt out of the way until they can find suitable ownership.

8. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

This nugget picked off by LAObserved from TMZ:

TMZ reports that both McCourts are now under investigation by the IRS after revelations that they haven't paid federal taxes in years — and paid their children out of the team payroll for services apparently not rendered.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Ah, but here's the difference: Selig and Wilpon go way back. Selig and the McCourts do not.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

So, why did FOX give him a personal loan of $30 Million?

Did they expect to get a sweetheart deal on the extension of their TV contract as a result?

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

And let's remember, that's tickets sold, not actual number of people in the stands. A huge difference because while those tickets are sold, it doesn't translate to $10 beer and $30 parking being sold.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If the announced crowd was 27,000, I'd hate to think how many people were still there after the fifth inning.

Draft saved Draft deleted