1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB takes over Dodgers -- Update 2; Magic Johnson group gets club for $2 billion

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Apr 20, 2011.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Re: MLB takes over Dodgers

I respected the Dodgers under O'Malley. Class owners. It was enjoyable to go to the stadium. It was a good experience. Since then, the stadium has become a billboard. The fans are a bunch of gang-banging thugs who beat other fans into a coma or kill them in the parking lot. And owner didn't squelch because he was too busy spending money he didn't have.

I agree, bring back O'Malley to run this thing. Really, it's the only move Selig can move that can get the fans back. And respect back for a once-proud organization that has long ago become the Raiders.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Not as many going. Season tickets down to 17,000 -- 17,000!!!! They had an announced crowd of 27,000 on a Sunday against the Cardinals. That is an absolute joke for the organization that set the standard of 3 million-plus fans a year, every year. This is on Selig and the rest of MLB for letting that asshat buy the team to begin with. And who's going to buy them and their $400 million of debt (as of 2009, it might be up to about $700 million now)?

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's not worse than the Expos because I bet the team is profitable, just not enough to service McCourt's debt. I'm guessing the team will file for bankruptcy just like the Rangers. McCourt won't get anything.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

The Fox years were OK, but the deterioration was clearly beginning.

I really hate that I support teams owned by McCourt and Al Davis. Jerry Buss is the classiest sports owner I root for.

Ah, Los Angeles.

5. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

As a Padre fan, I suppose I should feel the same. But I don't.

It's a sad day for baseball. No matter how much I might dislike the Dodgers.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Sympathy for the McCourt regime? No thanks. I'll save my tears and prayers for the family of Bryan Stow. If Frank McCourt doesn't think a paying customer getting beaten nearly to death in the parking lot is a big deal (until embarrassed into it by TJ Simers), than him losing the club isn't one to me.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The Giants-Dodgers rivalry is as intense and fun as it has been since the glory days, or at least since Tommy ran around the field in '93. That love/hate thing is there, but it's more for the traditional figures -- Lasorda always gets good-natured booing in SF, for instance -- and the on-field hijinks like Bochy outsmarting Mattingly or Casey Blake mocking Brian Wilson's crossed-arms gesture. The main reason it has been intense the last couple of years is that both teams are playing for something. That has continued and will continue. The McCourts were a blip on that and nobody gave a crap.

This is actually a good sign for the rivalry because MLB, unlike the McCourts, might clean up Dodger Stadium. Otherwise I don't think nearly as many Giants fans are going to make the trip south for the next series.

8. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

I actually think this is another sign of deep problems for MLB -- far deeper problems than whether Barry Bonds might have injected a steroid into his asscheek in 1998. I realize people insist that because the Pirates overpaid for Derek Bell one time that there cannot possibly be any financial discrepancies that affect competitive balance. But there are. This stuff should have been covered to death by now.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

MLB needs to be more concerned with all the empty seats they're seeing on a daily basis this season.

I realize it's still April but even with that the parks are looking awful barren right now.

10. dieditor

dieditor Member

The saddest thing about that is that the announced crowd didn't even look close to the number of asses in seats. I was at the game Sunday; the sight of LAPD uniformed officers walking up and down each aisle at the end of every half inning in a 60%-empty Dodger Stadium was pretty disheartening. And I was there pulling for the visitors.

And as mentioned above, the ballpark is starting to get rundown. That place used to be like Disneyland, a spotless palace. Sad.

11. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Tonight alone therre were the following — 14,915 (for a defending division champ at home), 13,825, 13,339, 13,214, 10,112 and 10,080 (between the top two teams in the division and one with the best record in baseball)

12. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Just think how much different the last decade of baseball would've looked if the McCourts had gotten the Red Sox instead of John Henry and pals.

Draft saved Draft deleted