1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB takes over Dodgers -- Update 2; Magic Johnson group gets club for $2 billion

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Apr 20, 2011.

1. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Re: MLB takes over Dodgers

MTM, this is also on the owners as well. This is, of course, the same owners and commissioner who did everything to freeze Mark Cuban out from owning the Cubs, or even getting a peek at his hometown team, the Pirates.

It's amazing how the professional sports leagues and the owners in this country can pick and choose who they want to own a team, and not give a damn about if said new owner can afford to not just buy, but operate the team.

Any prospective owner who doesn't have any money in his fricking account, should never be considered to be awarded a team to run.

The good ol' boys system of who gets a team or not has been proven to be a joke, with today's development.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Same goes from this Giants fan. Or to misquote Danny Kaye, "Your Los Angelesssssss Exxxpooosssssss!"

3. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

I often wonder how Selig, who is undoubtedly the worst commissioner in U.S. sports history, is not shredded daily in coverage. But then I see the steroids coverage -- always badly flawed and 10-15 years behind -- and I know the answer.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Bud Selig has been getting torched in coverage since before he was even commissioner, and in the '94 strike, the All-Star tie and the Congressional steroid hearings he was cast as just about the greatest villain/most clueless buffoon sports has ever known. If there isn't enough of it for you now, it's because most columnists find the whole topic played out, not because they haven't come around to it.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Are we counting hockey as a Canadian sport?

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I'll make the call: Peter O'Malley to be caretaker government until court-ordered sale.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

How soon until they have to take over the Mets?

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Once the Wilpons have to get a personal loan to cover payroll.

10. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Please let it be so. Wished the O'Malleys never had to sell 'dem Bums.

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

One of the great franchises in baseball (formerly, at least) is under league control, and the Angel and Giant dorks just can't help but get all giddy over this. I always thought rivalry was at least partly about respect. Guess not.

This isn't the NBA taking over the Hornets, or the NHL having to run the Phoenix Coyotes. This is half of the National League's greatest rivalry (pipe down, Cubs and Cards fans; the Cubs' rival is the .500 mark. They don't get to have a rival until they actually accomplish something).

This is the L.A. Dodgers. The team that opened up the West. The NL's second-greatest franchise after St. Louis, with no one else even close. And yet, Selig and friends gleefully let a man with no money purchase the team seven years ago. An attempted salvo in their "Competitive EQUALITY!!!!" battles? Perhaps.

And the Giants are World Series champs. After 20 years of mostly dismal play, this is truly the franchise's ultimate nadir.

A crappy day, that will hopefully eventually lead to better things.

http://espn.go.com/blog/SweetSpot/post/_/id/9363/an-embarrasing-situation-with-dodgers

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I knew things were ugly. Never dreamed it would come to this, even with the nasty divorce proceedings. Is this situation worse than the Expos? I mean, at least people go to Dodgers games and they have broadcast contracts and revenue streams.

Draft saved Draft deleted