1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB season delayed

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Regan MacNeil, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Hooray4snail

Hooray4snail Active Member

I would really like to see what wacky results we get with a 60-game season -- someone hitting .404, a pitcher with a 1.09 ERA, Padres winning the World Series, etc. But it's becoming clearer by the day that there shouldn't even BE a season.

ChrisLong and maumann like this.
  2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I just want to know what the cutoff is.

They have been impolite enough to relaunch this fully in public, with thousands dying every day, so they should reveal something of their risk assessment.

maumann likes this.
  3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Nine Men Out?

Fred siegle and tapintoamerica like this.
  4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Rays player posted they were called names for wearing a mask to the market.

Florida is truly America's Limp Wang

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

6. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Knowing him, he'll beat it ... and then claim it was the gun's fault. (Too soon?)

7. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

This is the kind of stuff that makes it really dicey. Been in camp for 10 days, tested negative during intake. If it leads to a bunch Yankees getting it, the whole thing gets shut down quickly.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

And that would be appropriate.
    I love baseball, but I would have no problem with this silly season being shut down because of a player from one of the Favored Few.

lakefront likes this.
  9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I have rarely left the house over the past four months. But I have to get new glasses so I went to the mall yesterday with my wife. Masks are mandatory in all indoor spaces in the Toronto area and while the mall was crowded, there was plenty of social distancing and it was the few people who weren't wearing masks that were getting the sideways looks.

And as much as I love baseball I am not sure we will see a pitch thrown in anger this season.

10. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Friday’s announcement notwithstanding, how confident are you that the NHL reboot will actually get off the ground?

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Next three weeks are obviously critical. If the NHL can get teams safely into the bubble I think it will work. The bubbles will probably be the safest places in North America. But there is still a long way to go.

Sea Bass likes this.
  12. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Speaking of throwing pitches in anger: I’ve read of the social distancing provisions — no spitting, no high-fives, no tossing the ball around the infield after outs, etc. — but I haven’t seen this addressed: What happens if there’s a fight? Will pitchers just be able to drill batters with impunity, or is there some sort of process to prevent this?

Draft saved Draft deleted