1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB season delayed

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Regan MacNeil, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

well, that would be a lot of the fun of it. It would also reduce the load on pitching staffs; pitching appearances of less than 10 pitches would not be uncommon.

With Option One, the long neglected stolen base would suddenly make a major comeback.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Oh so it’s in his heart? Dick head is a heartless bitch. It’s facts and science not belief. This isn’t religion where some bullshit about a virgin birth and rising from the dead bedtime story becomes the basis for a Violent and hate filled religion.

3. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

I don’t understand this whole thing. If both teams start with a runner, they are both starting the same. Why is that supposed to more quickly end games?

4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I would vote for 2nd/3rd with 1 out.
    Put 8 and 9 hole on base.
    You wanna intentionally walk my leadoff batter to get to my 2 hole to set up a dp ? Fine. Have at it.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

How about you just play baseball and not come up with a bunch of contrived shit like a runner on second in extras?

7. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

Buster Posey opting out

Moderator1 likes this.
  8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

it's a solution to a nonexistent problem.
    Overall, 7-10 percent of games go to extra innings; I'd guess maybe 3 percent go 12 or more, which are the pitching-staff wrecking events they're supposedly worried about.

With the institution of the taxi squad this year, every team should have a half-dozen pitchers standing around available for work.

Put in a rule if a team plays a game 12 innings or more, they can place two pitchers on a 5-day "emergency overuse DL" and activate two guys off the taxi squad.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

One thing I'm curious about is how the teams are going to start with 30 players, go to 28 after a couple of weeks, and then go to 26. Considering there aren't any minor leagues this year, are the additional players going to just be working out and playing intrasquad games for the rest of the year? What if a team gets a few guys hurt? It sounds like they're going to be having guys come in who haven't played an actual game in months.

maumann likes this.
  10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Or just fucking play. With expanded rosters, the rare LONG game shouldn't be an issue. Are they playing more often than they would normally? Isn't 60 games about what they play in that time span anyway? Hell the Braves have consecutive days off at one point and I'm guessing other teams do, too.

Just
    Fucking
    Play
    Actual
    Baseball

11. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

From a June 25 story on Fangraphs:

"Of the 2,429 unique games played in the 2019 major league season, 208 went past the ninth. That’s already a relatively small percentage: 8.6%, or once every 12 games. Still, that means we got extra innings roughly every day. Most of those games, though, didn’t last very long. Of those 208 contests, 95 finished in the 10th, leaving 113 games that reached the 11th or beyond, or 4.6% of all games played — once every 22 games, or about every other day. And of those 113 games, 57 came to a conclusion in the 11th. We’re now down to 56 games that saw the 12th, or a minuscule 2.3% of the season. Your odds of watching a game that goes that long are one in 42; you might get one once a week."

Honestly, MLB would be wiser to just declare all games ties after 12 innings, and count as half-win, half-loss in the winning percentage calculation. No reason to replay.

Bud Selig was ahead of his time.

12. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

The funny thing is this rule may well serve to extend games further.

Visitors: bunt runner over to third, sac fly, now 2 outs, nobody on.

Home: same approach to regain a tie score.

Essentially, becomes a game of one out innings with the bases empty to see who can homer first.

And line scores like this:

Team A 000 201 000 111 111 1 10
    Team B 020 000 100 111 111 2 11

Fred siegle and HanSenSE like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted