1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB season delayed

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Regan MacNeil, Mar 12, 2020.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I read a similar tweet saying West Coast teams should start earlier so East Coast fans could see the games. Uh, hello? World does not revolve around EDT.

Put it up there with those wanting day World Series games.

maumann likes this.
  2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

How long did it take for baseball to admit they were going with the agreement they made back in March to have a 2020 season?

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

If you start earlier, fans will only get to see one inning before they have to leave in the seventh.

Also starting at 6? That writer does know the "you can get anywhere in LA in 20 minutes" is the biggest lie Los Angelinos tell themselves, right?

HanSenSE and maumann like this.
  4. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I asked that exact question when I was covering baseball and the labor squabble in 1981.
    After the two-month stoppage, the plan that was ultimately accepted, when was it originally proposed? No one would answer. I asked owners, GMs and agents. Got nothing.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I came on to write about the fact that I was surprised at how many people are scoffing at the idea that kids who actually get to see the end of ballgames live might become lifelong fans. I was going to say that it's how I became one.

Then I looked it up and, during the 1987 season (which is around when I really started getting into it), the Yankees played 50 day games. Last year? They played 58. Not sure if it's similar around the league, but I guess my notion that they played so many more day games when I was a kid is incorrect.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

5 years ago tonight, 1 pitch away.

To be 1 pitch away from a no-hitter.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I think the biggest difference is that Saturdays always used to be day games (except the Dodgers in LA) and now they're mostly night games. But there are more weekday day games on getaway days now, and those are wildly popular, at least in Boston they are. So it's a wash.

bigpern23 likes this.
  8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I would guess the team with the fewest day games last year were the Rangers, who (until this year) had to toil under the blazing July and August sun of Texas. They experimented with a few 8:05 starts a couple of years ago.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

That makes sense. I probably saw a ton of Saturday games and, nowadays, don't get see the getaway games as often. Damned if it doesn't feel like there were day games all the time back then.

It would be nice if they had one prime time game on Saturdays and Sundays this season and all other weekend games are at 1 or 4. It won't happen, but it would be nice.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If we assume that the NBA and NHL "seasons" resume as scheduled and that baseball's does too, then there's going to be a LOT of competition for prime time slots. It might by default force most baseball games into daytime slots, at least on the weekends.

11. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Players reported Wednesday, workouts begin Friday and Saturday. It’ll be interesting to see how many reported but can’t practice.

Teams can’t say who tested positive. But it seems like it’ll be pretty easy to tell.

NBA has been transparent on the raw numbers. I think it’s 25 of 351. Many players have said they have it.

Wonder if MLB teams will be as transparent.

12. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

My answer to that --for post season games-- is what would you rather miss the beginning of a game or the end of a game?

Draft saved Draft deleted