1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB season delayed

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Regan MacNeil, Mar 12, 2020.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I remember George C. Scott appearing on a Tigers national broadcast around that time as well. Didn't know until then that he was such a huge Tiger fan. Apparently went to Redford High School.

2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

After losing 103 games in 1975 -- including 19 consecutive -- the mass hysteria surrounding the Bird in 1976 was such a welcome respite for the Tigers and Detroit. You couldn't replicate anything like that now. It just was a goofy kid with curly hair and incredible command on the mound (every pitch seemed to be right at the knees), out there prancing around the field and having the time of his life. What a joyful season in a dreadful decade for the team and the city.

Alas, fireworks last but a short while. And so it was with Mark Fidrych.

My grandfather died just before the 1976 season began. He never saw Fidrych pitch. But I appreciate whatever pull he might have had to get the Bird in a Tigers uniform.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

no airpods. I try to distract myself as much as possible when I work out to help me forget I'm working out. Trying to keep up with the New Yorker (I'm six weeks behind) is the thing that gets me to the gym. Crazy to think they didn't have anything on it until their Feb. 10th issue. They're usually months ahead of the curve on stuff like this.

Pilot likes this.
  4. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

who are you, Dick Whitman?

poindexter likes this.
  5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

No, but he can argue about it for 15 pages if it makes you feel better.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  6. DanOregon

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Linsanity was a pretty good replica

Baron Scicluna and maumann like this.
  8. DanOregon

Awright ya basterds - you done and did it. Went to the gym today with my Feb. 3 New Yorker hoping to finish off an article on a huge diamond find, only to find the gym closed due to Covid. Clearly I offended the SJ gods (who definitely DO exist).

9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Keith Jackson called a few Monday Night Baseball games back in the day too. Whoa Nellie!

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

KJ had the PxP on the Reggie Jackson 3-HR game in the 1977 WS. Howard jumps all over his HR calls.

11. DanOregon

Possibly the greatest home run trot in history.

12. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

A shooting star, for sure. You just wish the team took better care of him. Even at a time when arm risk was little understood, his rookie workload could have been better managed.
    Fidrych never had that wipeout stuff after the injuries.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted