1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB season delayed

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Regan MacNeil, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

He was one of my favorite players when I was a kid. I've managed to somewhat grow up. He hasn't.

Fred siegle likes this.
  2. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Make it a thousand!

Nah, honestly, there's a good chance they mess it up. But as of now, they can still get it done on that timeline. They're talking, which is big for these two groups, and that's important.

But I don't feel confident enough about it to wager any of my hard-earned internet dollars.

3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Is that like Bitcoin?

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Of course it will. Ask the 1994 World Series champs.

5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I think the other leagues are wasting a lot of time trying to resolve the old seasons.

Who fucking cares - just flip the calendar already. Too much time has passed.

This was the one thing baseball had going for it, the clean slate.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Too much money at stake.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I understand this sentiment, but I disagree. I don't think either league wants an unresolved season on its record books. And this is going to give both leagues an opportunity to experiment next year. The NBA for years has been talking about potentially cutting games and starting closer to Christmas. The NHL doesn't exist outside of the mind of the diehards until the calendar changes anyway. I think both would love to start in December and go into the summer. The NHL is already playing into June. What's the difference between that and August at this point? The summer calendar outside of baseball (maybe) is pretty barren in non-Olympic years.

8. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Yikes, Pirates.

Meadows, Glasnow and a top-100 pitching prospect for 33 mediocre starts from Archer.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That's something I've been wondering about, is if they're planning to play the 2019-20 season until late in the summer, when do they start the 2020-21 season? If the NHL plays into August or even September, that's only a few weeks before training camp normally begins. The NBA lags a couple of weeks behind, but will have the same issue.
    So do they shorten the 2020-21 season? Just take a couple of weeks off and flow right into it? Play the playoffs for a month, then take another two or three months off and start on Christmas Day? How do they handle the offseason, with free agency, the draft, etc.?
    It seems like they could scrap one season and start fresh in the fall, or run the very real risk of having two seasons blown up.

10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

That's how I see it. There are too many moving parts.

The NBA is a league whose top superstar said in March he wouldn't play in games without fans.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

And then said the next day he hadn't realized anyone was seriously talking about it and thought the reporter was just messing with him by asking.

That quote was taken wildly out of context.

12. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

TOS is far more unpredictable than Tommy John surgery now.

Draft saved Draft deleted