1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB season delayed

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Regan MacNeil, Mar 12, 2020.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Have any of the other pro leagues cut salaries by more than 50 percent while still planning to play 50 percent of the games? MLB isn't making it work so far because the owners are being unreasonable.

It may be closer to 30 percent, but it is still too low to realistically expect the players to accept given the circumstances. You seem to be ignoring the increased risk to the health of the players. Also, there will be measures taken to keep them from being exposed while they aren't playing. Those are likely to cause major disruptions to their personal lives, especially for the ones with wives and children.

Jerry-atric likes this.
  2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

MLB compared to the NHL and NBA is apples to oranges; the NBA and NHL played 80% of their seasons, with full revenue streams. I don't know what the NFL will do, but again, it plans on playing a full schedule, unlike MLB. If NFL games are played in empty stadiums, I suspect there will be some salary adjustments, even if they play all 16 (or 17, if that starts this year) games.

Baseball players are hardly the only Americans who have had major disruptions to their personal lives. And with all the measures that will be taken to keep them from being exposed while they aren't playing, they probably will be safer than 95% of the rest of the country .

Like I said, we just disagree. So be it.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That is fine. You were the one who brought up the comparison to other sports. I agree that they are apples to oranges.

The only reason the NFL might try to sell some sort of salary decrease is the weakness of the NFLPA. It would be idiotic for NFL players to accept any reduction in salary given the inherent risks in playing the sport and the added risk of COVID 19 infection.

Where this will really hit the NFL players is in the salary cap for the following season, which will stay the same or go down rather than the previously-expected increase due to the lost revenue.

I'm not sure the players will be safer because they have to interact closely with one another, the coaches and managers, umpires and others. Travel also brings a greater risk.

Of course they have it better than most of us. That's what MLB is counting on, that fans will see the players as the bad guys.

Jerry-atric likes this.
  4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Whatever happened to Manky Jimmy? Is he off celebrating the 25-year anniversary of Derek Jeter’s MLB debut??

5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

At what point does it make sense for a free agent to be like Mookie Betts to just shut it down? Why play 80 games for 30 percent salary in uncertain health times when he has a possible 10-year $400 million contract waiting for him?

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The number of minor nagging injuries suffered in any training period will be enormous. A lot of minor leaguers are going to wind up in the bigs if the bigs restart.

7. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

That is a very good point.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Possibly wired on Red Bull and coffee watching the Jetes-a-thon on MLB Network.

9. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

10. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

How much time will be devoted to him identifying the talented players on the Marlins and trading them for hit-or-miss prospects?

Fred siegle likes this.
  11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Look, because of what else is going on in the United States at this very moment — seriously, I just watched a Louisville cop fire a point-blank pepper round at a TV news crew covering the protests on live TV — I ain’t willing to debate fuckin’ semantics anymore.

There is exactly fuckall in the players’ contracts about their salaries being dependent on attendance. Most of these teams could turn a damn profit just on the TV money. If the owners aren’t willing to do what they’re legally obligated to do, that’s entirely their fault and they can go fuck themselves.

Come back with a relevant argument or fuck right off. I don’t care anymore.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

And salaries aren’t tied to revenues Like other sports.

Draft saved Draft deleted