1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB season delayed

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Regan MacNeil, Mar 12, 2020.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Just pack it in and go to 2021.

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Time to start agitating for refunds from cable ops for non-existent games.

MileHigh likes this.
  3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

In all honestly, I think baseball would be better served as both a business and a pastime just saying "we'll see you in spring training" and admitting a truncated no-fans season is not something anybody really wants. If the owners really wanted it, they'd have made a less insulting offer. If the players really wanted it, they'd have made a counteroffer immediately. I don't blame them. Frankly, I think the NBA and NHL would be best served by giving up until the fall as well.

FileNotFound likes this.
  4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And use the time to hammer out a good labor agreement.

MileHigh likes this.
  5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, Manky just got excited and know not why.

6. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Still don’t see MLB giving up all the TV money.

Not to mention the huge damage it’ll do to the sport in the eyes of the fans. It would make 1994-95 look quaint.

There’s too much at stake to not get a deal done.

HanSenSE likes this.
  7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed. Everybody is getting a look at their lives without sports right now. I have to imagine many people won't come back, at least not all the way back. That means less time and money invested by fans.

8. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

On top of it, if they can get it together and start around July 4, they'll have a captive audience for a couple of weeks before other sports return. And do the flag-waving, National Pastime stuff the love so much. Maybe get some desperately needed new fans.

I know well the history between MLB and the MLBPA. It's possible they'll mess it up. But they really have to come to their senses.

9. BrownScribe

BrownScribe Active Member

Speaking of MLB, anyone with an MLBtv subscription asked for a refund, yet? If so, how did it go?

10. goalmouth

Analytics has choked the life out of baseball. The sport's got bigger problems than the pandemic.

HanSenSE and BitterYoungMatador2 like this.
  11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I'm not going to be hacked off if the season is canceled. No fans in the stands. All games in some distant neutral park. No thanks. Move on.

12. goalmouth

Which three MLB players hit homers to center at the Polo Grounds? (483 feet to the clubhouses!)

Draft saved Draft deleted