1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB season delayed

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Regan MacNeil, Mar 12, 2020.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You know some minor league team is doing a Coronavirus Night - Coronas are $2, they'll retire a jersey with COVID 19, they'll introduce an adorable mascot shaped like the virus, Free 4-pack of toilet paper to the first 500 fans.

maumann likes this.
  2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Ehhhh ... better wait until next year on that. With epidemiologists not really sure we won't have a second wave in the fall, probably not a good idea to make it a laughing matter just yet (even if things get back on track relatively soon, ie mid-May or something like that).

lakefront likes this.
  3. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Cyrus the Virus!

[​IMG]

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Crap, then the minors are going to be postponed too. Was hoping to visit my favorite MILB park on a trip back home this May.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Verlander having groin surgery. Out six weeks.

Which means he should be ready by Opening Day.

HanSenSE likes this.
  7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

That seems really optimistic. Things could be really bad across the country in mid-May. I’m operating on the assumption that all sports are cancelled for the rest of 2020. I would be happy to be wrong.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I'm not there yet. I will say no sports until Labor Day.

9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

If it’s Labor Day, MLB is going to miss a season

The big question for all sports’ players is how — or if — they will be paid. If they’re paid, will teams try to prorate salaries?

What about service time for baseball players? Does their clock stop, or are they still accruing time?

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I'm guessing practices will restart in early-mid June with games in July.

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Reds were 70-50 after this win, finished 2 games out, only drew 8k for the game. Cincy never changes.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

It was a Wednesday afternoon game. They played a game at Wrigley a week earlier with 3,767 in attendance.

Why the 64 year shaming?

Draft saved Draft deleted