1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB season delayed

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Regan MacNeil, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Bingo.
    The first test that comes back positive, the whole thing gets put on hold....maybe even cancelled for the year.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Spencer Hall said on Twitter "have they addressed the part where men famous for spitting a lot throw a ball back and forth with their bare hands?" That's just one way out of zillions to explode this trial balloon.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Man, baseball sucks. Just an atrocious idea. And they'd find some tacky things to do along the way if it actually happened, like using the seventh-inning stretch to have all the players hold "Stand (up arrow) 2 Coronavirus" signs with the names of someone they know that is sick.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

What's missing from your math are the 2,000+ people at the hotels/restaurants who will be needed to keep this ship afloat.

Sure, the Republican wackos in AZ might grant permission for this, but it would be a health disaster.

5. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

If that's truly an obstacle -- and I'm not sure that it is -- then it's a not merely an obstacle that will keep them from playing games in Arizona in June but one that will keep any sport from any events for roughly the next 18 months (or possibly forever).

When a nurse tests positive for COVID-19, they don't shut down the entire hospital. When a cashier gets COVID-19, they don't shut down the entire grocery store. So why would we have to shut down an entire sport in this scenario?

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Not sure that baseball would have to shut down entirely on one positive test. The NBA shut it down because the nature of the sport involves contact between sweaty people with a relatively large amount of uncovered skin.
    But if they go this Phoenix-only route, the threshold for shutdown is still pretty low. The season will be so compromised at any rate that there won't be much worth saving if a few positive tests occur.

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Thirty-three years ago today...and since conclusively proven that, like their white counterparts, plenty of minorities have the "necessities"...to be really mediocre managers and coaches

8. tapintoamerica

I can't watch it anymore. From what I recall, Koppel is so stunned by what he hears the first time that he suspects he misheard him. So he tries and tries again to give him a chance to amend his initial statement. It never really happens.

Fred siegle likes this.
  9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

On the 13th anniversary of Aaron surpassing the Babe.

Scully, as usual, was tremendous.

Aaron was on DP today and, as usual, was awesome.

10. tapintoamerica

I did not know that the Yankees went to pinstripes for the purpose of making Ruth look slimmer. Amazing fact.

11. Fred siegle

Fred siegle Well-Known Member

Seeing that again and still amazed he said that, and also stuck with it when koppel gave him multiple chances to take it back or at least amend it. And doubled down on quarterbacks.
    Also reminds me how great koppel was.

12. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I was told this many years ago. I believe that was the first game of the season in Atlanta. As they were preparing, they realized they did not have a qualified official scorer available. So they looked to the Dodgers media corps for an official scorer. Veteran Bob Hunter got the duty, so his signature is on the official scorecard. Hunter had BBWAA Card No. 1 when he died.

Draft saved Draft deleted