1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB season delayed

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Regan MacNeil, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

HOCKEY
    National Hockey League
    MINNESOTA - Terminated contract of Barclay Donaldson, Broome County Blades, Federal League

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Last weekend, I watched “Soul of the Game” which is a Hollywood look at Jackie Robinson, Satchel Paige and Josh Gibson as they were looking to join the majors. I saw it years ago, and wanting to watch something about baseball, saw it again. I really liked Delroy Lindo’s performance as Satchel.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

if we’re at 20-percent unemployment no one is traveling anywhere.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  4. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Loved that. Will have to seek it out again.

Watched the Battered Bastards of Baseball this week. Can’t believe I hadn’t seen it before. Highly recommend.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

No need to seek it out. Just click the link. It's the entire film.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I know a guy who was on that team, Kenny Medlock. He became an actor. Has been in just about every baseball movie. His biggest role was as the Grady Fuson character in "Moneyball" where he cussed out Billy Beane.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

8. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

What a surprise. Boras has been pushing that for a while and now he obviously leaked it.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, Boras is clearly the source of this. So much for that Christmas World Series.

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

This plan strikes me as patently absurd.

You're going to take the players, coaches, and all the staff needed and sequester them at hotels for months? They only leave to go to the park and back?

My neighbor is a clubhouse attendant. He's going to be sequestered away from his wife and kids for months just so MLB can fulfill its TV contract? (Right now I think his wife would be OK with that, but still...)

matt_garth likes this.
  11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

It gets a little warm in Arizona in the summer. They really want outdoors day games when it's 100-115 F, even in a dry heat?

At least a refreshing dip in the cool waters of Lake Tahoe is just 15 minutes away.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I don't see this working for several more months.

Assuming 30 players and 20 more non playing personnel for each team, that's 1500 persons.

Add in ballpark personnel and broadcast crew members, that pushes the total up to 2000 people.

You know what the probabilities are of getting -- or keeping -- a sample group of 2000 people with zero cases of COVID infections? (Or 2000 people who have already had it and presumably built up immunity-- which we're not really sure about either.)

Astronomical -- beyond astronomical.

And, if you have this pristine group of 2000 people, how long before one person catches it? And then what? Shut it down for a month? Call the whole thing off?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    2muchcoffeeman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted