1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB rainout question

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Apr 6, 2007.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Does MLB have a policy that prohibits games from starting if it is raining/snowing?

2. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I think the home team has the discretion of starting, delaying and/or canceling games prior to the first pitch.

Once the game starts, the discretion becomes the home plate umpire's (or crew chief, I'm not sure which).

3. TheSportsPredictor

Yes, I just wondered if there was any kind of rule that said no game will start if it is raining or snowing. Seems I've heard that before.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

No such rule, TSP. Home team in consultation with umpires determines whether to start the game ... crew chief takes control once the game starts.

5. TheSportsPredictor

6. T2

T2 Member

It seems there are different standards for starting and continuing play. Often, the home team won't allow a game to start during a light sprinkle, or if the forecasters say a thunderstorm is going to pass through in half an hour. But once the game has begun, the umpires allow play to continue even through constant moderate rain or the ominous rumbling of thunder.

7. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Or if the home team's bullpen has thrown 421 1/3 innings in its first three games and needs a day off.

Draft saved Draft deleted