1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB Question

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by FishHack76, Sep 29, 2007.

1. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

My editor and I are trying to figure this out. The standings just moved over with the Arizona-Colorado score. Arizona has a one-game lead over San Diego with one to play, yet everyone writes the Diamondbacks have clinched the division. How so? A tiebreaker? It seems that San Diego could still tie Arizona for the NL West if the Padres are only one game behind. What gives?
  2. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Because if San Diego ties with Arizona, it will have clinched the wild card without a tie. You then go by head-to-head record to break a tie between teams already in the playoffs.
  3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Because if San Diego were to catch Arizona, both of them would have better records than the NL East second-place team.

Since there is no playoff if the two teams from the same division tie for both the division title and the wild card, the tie-breaker is determined by head-to-head record during the regular season.
  4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Mustard is correct. In a tie where one team would win the division and another would get the WC, the game is not played since both will go to the playoffs.
  5. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

Thanks. I thought I remembered this happened with Boston and the Yankees a couple years ago.
  6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Last year, I believe.
  7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

If it were Boston and New York, I think it was two years ago. Boston finished behind Toronto last season.
  8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Thanks Buck.
  9. KP

KP Active Member

Both finished 95-67
  10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Wow, I was right. Who'd have thought it.

Nice saddle.
  11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Christ Bucky. We can't even count on you to get shit right when it's occured in your lifetime.

Stick to something else fraud boy. :D :D :D
  12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I want to see a four-way tie, hard as it will be on some of the teams involved.

Anybody still at work and can post the AP thing that explained what could happen?

The Paders could play five games in four different cities in five days, I think.
Draft saved Draft deleted