1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB Pitcher Joe Kennedy Dead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mayfly, Nov 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Bullshit. You took a horseshit cheap shot at a guy, then didn't have the balls to either back it up or apologize when he called you on it.

2. KP

KP Active Member

Buck hit the nail on the head.

Pass the popcorn, please.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The thing about Smasher.... He doesn't seem to be the kind of person who makes posts like that lightly. When someone with his posting history on this board (which I think most people find pretty respectable) responds to a shot at someone that way, we probably all should take a step back and give some real thought about how easy it is to malign someone's character while posting anonymously on a message board. It's easy to get carried away on here, and I think people unintentionally lose themselves sometimes. But before hitting that "post" button, it's really worth reflecting about a few things and asking yourself some questions, including, "would I say something this negative about a specific person if I had to face him or her?" and "Is it fair or courageous to attack someone professionally, while doing it anonymously in a place that gets a lot of attention within the profession?"

I think most people are smart enough to take an anonymous comment for what it is worth, but even if you hate someone, or have personally seen them do the most unethical or slimy thing in the history of journalism, maybe it's best to make your statements with your face showing and be a bit restrained on here if you are posting anonymously.

4. Smasher_Sloan

Thanks, Ragu. I actually meant to jump in when I saw the original "if you know Crasnick..." post and got busy with other things.

If someone really thinks Crasnick deserves that, fine. That's your opinion, and you may have good reasons to believe it. But if you're going to weasel out when called on it, then it's bullshit.

A long time ago a smart sportswriter gave me a great piece of advice. He said rip anyone you think deserves it. Just make sure you would be willing to defend your position if the person confronted you about it. Makes you think before you write, and that's good.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Now that was a very well constructed response by Smasher and he makes an excellent point. His initial response was far less....constructive, which led to my comment about it.

Back on topic, has anybody seen anything new on a cause of death?

6. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Two things (with a poll about which point you like better to come):

1. It's pretty sad that a pissing match has started over a tragedy like this. Can we please put things in perspective and have some respect for the departed?

2. I've met Jerry a few times, and each of them, I didn't gather a hint of self-promotion. Just because Jerry gets his paycheck from Bristol doesn't mean he has 100% control over how his stories are presented. Do writers write their own headlines or photographers make up their own captions? No, they don't, or at least to my knowledge. Jerry reported the news, the copy editors made changes and that is that.

Plus, is all this venom REALLY worth it? No.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Sorry, I don't care if Crasnick is here defending himself or not. If ESPN is showboating the tragic death of a 28-year old as a scoop by one its own, everyone involved deserves to know that it's a horseshit, egocentric, dick move.

If you didn't personally do it Crasnick, then don't fucking worry about the criticism. It's misguided anyway.

8. Smasher_Sloan

1. Hardly the first thread to veer onto a whole different subject here.

2. I don't think anyone means any disrespect to Joe Kennedy or his family. This isn't exactly the online guestbook.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

As well ... good career move.

10. Yes, by all means let's make fun of the guy who came onto an industry message board to try and defend himself from anonymous posters ripping him.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Normally, I would say, fine, but Mizzou made it personal.

12. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

(sips gratefruit Crystal Light)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.