1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB Network's MLB Tonight >>> ESPN's Baseball Tonight

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

It was a little thing, and it's been mentioned here already, but MLB Network impressed the hell out of me when they dug up the video of the last Opening Day inside-the-park home run.

MLB doesn't have an equivalent of NFL Films so it's not like they just went to the vault and pulled it out. There had to be some serious legwork done to run that down.

ESPN would never do that because it happened before 1980 and didn't involve the Yankees, Brooklyn Dodgers or New York Giants.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I will watch ESPN's live game broadcasts, and I love that they show a lot of MLB games on ESPN.

But as far as highlights shows? MLB Network blows them out of the water, and it's not even close.

The fact that they sacrifice baseball coverage in May for an NFL Live nightly show makes me want to puke.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

You know, if you watch MLB Network, you're condoning MLB's bullshit exploitation of the economy (i.e. "oh woe is us, the economy's in the shitter, even though we're printing money over here, so we have to cut jobs and not pay our interns while Bud makes another $500 million").

I know I'm alone there, but I'll just have to deal with Baseball Tonight and no mlb.tv on principle.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Not totally alone, BYH. And don't forget MLB's lovely no-pay internship program.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Sure, Preachey - ESPN runs a lily-pure operation.

I'd rather be a no-paid intern at MLB than a target of Mike Tirico's obsessions, or subject to Sean Salisbury's wiener cell phone pics.

6. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Gawd I wish I had MLB Network. At the newsroom, we're getting a week's sample, and I was impressed last night.

I watch NFL Network during the season, and I watch more CBSCS and FOX Sports Midwest more throughout the year. I rarely, rarely watch ESPN unless it's for live games. It's really sad how far the WWL has dropped.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It did involve the Red Sox, though, so they might have done it.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If you take a dump at the ESPNzone, when you flush does Berman's voice come over a speaker with his "Backbackbackback...gone!" call?

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Never said ESPN was a paragon of virtue. But at least it's not starting billion-dollar enterprises and crying poverty...today, at least.

10. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

So when was the last time you read a newspaper?
    Or bought some new clothes, almost of all of which are made in third-world countries?
    Or used a computer, with job after job being moved to India over the last five years?
    Principles are great in theory, harder in execution.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

You're right on all counts. But this particular issue is sticking in my craw at the moment.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Currently on MLB Net: ABC's Monday Night Baseball from the summer of 1976 featuring the NYY v. Detroit...starring rookie phenom Mark The Bird Fidrych.

The game might as well have been played and broadcast in 1954 ... everything about it looks completely foreign to today's game...in many ways, baseball has changed far more since 1976 that football has.

Draft saved Draft deleted