1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB Network's MLB Tonight >>> ESPN's Baseball Tonight

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Apr 7, 2009.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I'll be damned.

Epidemic of bad food breaking out at ESPNzones all over the place. :D

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

If an entire day of games were completed without a single home run, BBTN would be totally lost at sea.

3. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Is MLB tonight available on MLB.tv?

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The only studio show they haven't managed to fuck up yet is the college football version of Gameday.

5. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

ESPN's programming has begun to annoy me a bit, but Baseball Tonight I can deal with for awhile. I, however, cannot stand NFL Live. Watching that show is about exciting as watching grass grow.

6. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

Baseball Tonight's new analysts are, perhaps, the worst new hires yet.

Carlos Baerga sort of knows what he's talking about, but his accent is so thick that I can barely understand him.
    I have no problem understanding Dave Winfield. But when pressed for analysis, he gives one or two sentence responses with no insight at all.

I really like Karl Ravech, and I almost feel bad for him. He's surrounded by idiots.

7. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

It could always be worse than what Karl Ravech deals with on Baseball Tonight. You could be the man or woman hosting ESPN's "1st and 10" and having to listen to Skip Bayless nearly have a heart attack and rant about the Spurs. Tony Reali gets it pretty bad, too. He's got to listen to Jay Mariotti every week.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

There is no reason anyone should ever watch Baseball Tonight again.
    It's like Rookie League compared to MLB Network.

In fact, other than watching a game, is there any reason to watch ESPN anymore?

9. I like how bostonbred went from "the hate on this board for espn is irritating" to "I agree Baseball Tonight sucks dick" in the span of 21 minutes.

10. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

After watching Winfield for one day, it's clear that he does no preparation whatsoever. Ravech asked him who he thought would win the NL East, and he paused, like he was pondering the question for the first time. I don't even remember who he picked, but when Ravech asked him why, he said something like, "I just think they're gonna get it done." Thanks for the wisdom, big fella.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I stopped watching SportsCenter a long time ago and now I'll probably never watch Baseball Tonight again. MLB Network will have even more of a tendency to shill for the league on larger issues but it won't ever be surpassed in game and player analysis.

I like Winfield but his depth of knowledge about the current game will be exposed over the course of the season because I just don't see him taking the time and effort to immerse himself in it given his range of business interests.

Ravech has always been overrated.

12. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

I've been watching MLB Network since it started, if only because it was on when Baseball Tonight was not.
    I became, however, a full-fledged fan a week or so ago, when they spent five minutes discussing Alexei Ramirez changing positions. Complete analysis, with video evidence, of what he's doing well and what he's not. I don't give a shit about the White Sox, or Ramirez. But damn if that wasn't impressive television.

Draft saved Draft deleted